15 July 2007

The Skirt that Would be Kwik Sew 2788B


This is my second attempt at Kwik Sew 2788B. I was determined not to let this inanimate object get the best of me. Immediately after completing the first disaster, I began work on this same skirt again. This time, I used a very dark blue stretch twill from the Fabric Warehouse (in MI). This choice of fabric already was a step in the right direction. It would later prove to give the ease and stretch I need around me chunky parts. The completion of the second attempt at this skirt, however, did not come without much blood (from pin-pricked fingers), sweat (it was over 90 degrees Fahrenheit for a few days), and shears (self-explanatory). As mentioned in a previous post, the first attempt at this pattern did not turn out well.

Here are some changes I made in constructing this garment:
  • I left the waistband alone
  • shortened the zipper 2"
  • omitted seam allowance on CB and cut on the fold

The skirt fits well, although there are some issues left to be resolved. For one, how do I insert the hooks & eyes without having thread show through on the front of the waistband? Common sense now tells me to insert the them before the waistband is turned inside out. But, that's not what the instructions say. So, that's a change to make next time.

I do not know what happened with this part of the waistband. When I stitched it, I was careful and clipped the corners. But, this still looks strange. You can't tell from the that it's like this, but it annoys me not to know what went wrong.

In all, I am satisfied with the skirt. I've already worn it to work and received nice compliments. I plan to make a couple more of these skirts. Next time, I will take a bit of length from the crotch area, take in the waistband 1/4", and take a deeper hem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...