19 February 2009

SWAP Update 2

I really have to get better at blogging. Oftentimes I know what I want to say, committing time to sit down at the computer and write it is another thing...To be fair to myself, I have been quite busy too. Work and my home life consume a great deal of energy. Plus, I have been roller skating a lot more. Anyway, I do have some updates to report on my progress with my SWAP.

The SWAP is coming along quite...slowly. =) I made several changes to the storyboard because I realized that my struggle with fitting woven blouses was going to seriously hinder my progress. Though I haven't given up on KS 3620, I have replaced a couple of the other blouses with knit tops. I also decided to change some of the bottoms because of fabric limitations. I want to shop my stash as much as possible. So, here are the new plans:

Top 1:

KS 2694


I made version A out of polyester-blend knit purchased from Field's Fabrics in Portage, MI. Originally, I was going to make Simplicity 3790, but the fabric is somewhat heavy and would probably not drape well with that style. The fabric actually has some gray flecks that I did not notice until I actually started sewing it. The flecks are not that noticeable from a distance, so I think the top will still go with everything else in the capsule.

The fit of the top could be better. The pattern calls for 1/4" seam allowances, but instead I used 1/2" seam allowances on the sides. I did this because I thought the top would be too big. I was wrong. It's definitely not too big. It's wearable but a bit more snug than I prefer.

I added a couple of inches to the sleeve for length and bound the neckline with self fabric.

Other tops/blouses include:
  • Simplicity 4076 (knit crossover top with waist gathers)
  • Burda 7892 (knit top with diagonal-seam bodice front)
  • New Look 6432 OOP (knit poncho)
  • McCall's 5522 (woven blouse with under bust gathers and seamed lower front/back)
  • Kwik Sew 3620 (woven blouse with ties and self collar)

For the bottoms, I plan to make:
I started on NL 6300 and quickly lost interest. I had such a time inserting the zipper that I put it down and have yet to pick it up again. Plus, the fabric (a dark brown corduroy) is picking up so much lint that it's no longer attractive to me. I will likely substitute this pattern for something else.

For the jacket, I still intend to make Simplicity 2766.

I will be on break next week, so hopefully I will be able to get a lot of sewing done.

Until next time,

L8r!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...