29 June 2009

Asymmetric Skirt: Vogue 7880 (OOP)

I just love this skirt. To date, I think it is my most favourite sewn garment. The construction, although tedious, was fun. The fabric was a joy with which to work. All the topstitching, pressing, serging - everything about putting this skirt together was a complete delight. As a result, I got this fabulous skirt that flows effortlessly and drapes wonderfully. Can't you tell that I'm excited?? Here's my pattern review:


Pattern Description (taken from the pattern envelope): Partially lined, fitted skirt in three lengths has left side zipper closure. A: shaped overskirt. B: front belt and tabs with purchased rings, shaped hem. C: stitched hem and shaped front and back. I sewed view B.

Pattern Sizing: The pattern ranges in sizes from 8 to 18. I started with a size 18 according to my hip measurement (41") and the pattern envelope. Let this be a lesson in always checking the finished garment measurements first! The 18 had a finished measurement of 46". Yeah, it was big. I ended up sewing larger (~1") seam allowances at the waist and hip.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes and no. It looks like the drawing with the exception of the front band & buckles - I did not include them. The length on the model suggests the skirt stops just below the knee. My skirt stops just above my ankles. Soooo...either the model is tall or...ahem...the model is very tall. There aren't any lengthen/shorten lines on the pattern. Well, actually, I don't recall seeing any lengthen/shorten lines. So, if you decide to make this pattern and feel the model is...ahem...very tall, then you will have to determine what pieces need adjustments. Since there are about 13 pieces, this can be a daunting task and may not be worth it. Personally, I like the length just as it is - even though it is supposed to rest at my knees.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions are very thorough and should be followed exactly. When I first started cutting out the 100+ pieces (okay...so there aren't really 100 pieces...but there were a lot), I seriously questioned the layout. Assuming that the designers knew what they were doing and that I didn't, I proceeded as instructed. I'm glad I did. Everything fit together nicely. If you attempt this pattern, just make sure you carefully label everything.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the funky asymmetric hem and drape. I saw Melody's version of this skirt and had to try it myself.

Fabric Used: I used a dark blue linen-rayon blend that I found in the red-tag section of JoAnn's. I think I paid $2 or $2.50 per yard. Let me tell you, this linen-rayon blend was really nice to sew. I do not know how it will hold up in the long run, but for now it was a dream. It holds a press well and drapes wonderfully.

For the front and back stays, I used a dark blue quilter's cotton solid (from stash). It is very comfortable and doesn't cling like polyester.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I didn't make any alterations except to take larger seam allowances to account for cutting the wrong size. The instructions have you turn under the hems twice and topstitch. Nah, I didn't do that. Instead, I serged the edges, pressed under 1/2", and topstitched. I also used an invisible zipper instead of a regular one. I loathe zippers of any kind in a side seam because I always get a strange pucker that I do not know how to fix. Since this one didn't turn out too bad, I am encouraged to try another one again.


Would you sew it again? If I sew this again, I will probably try view A.

Conclusion: It's a good pattern and I enjoyed sewing it. I wore to see a play with a friend and got a few compliments.

More pictures:



Question: What other type of top would look good with this skirt? Share your suggestions. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. That is a great looking skirt and its fits you nicely. I like the top you paired with it, the length is perfect for the skirt. Would you consider New Look 6875.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love that skirt. You can donate it to me if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys were very productive on Saturday!! The skirt looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...