21 December 2009

My 2009 Sewing Goals

Since 2009 is coming to an end, I began to reflect on my sewing achievements over the past 12 months. In January, I started with a list of goals that I wanted to accomplish. I am happy to say that I made significant progress on all of them. Although, some will definitely have to carry over next year.

1. Update my wardrobe.

I updated my wardrobe to include clothes that better suit my figure/frame as well as styles that are much more contemporary. I don't follow fads and mostly sew what I like. I did, however, recognize that my wardrobe was seriously out of date. I had clothes in my closet from when I was in graduate school (that was almost eight years ago).

2. Make a good fitting woven blouse.

I still don't have a good fitting woven blouse, but I have learned so much in the process. I have a better idea of what pattern alterations I need to make. Needless to say, this goal will definitely carry on to 2010.

3. Purge unwanted fabric and patterns.

I did manage sell a small bit of fabric. As I review my stash, I will probably put more up for sale. My stash has gotten out of control and I need to trim it down. I don't think I sold any patterns this year. I'll have to review my pattern stash and remove the ones I don't want.

4. Make a coat.

Yup, I made a short coat and don't like it. I think it's too big in many places and very poor fitting - despite the muslin saying other things. Maybe I'll come back to this later next year.

5. Sew with a plan.

I have become better at picking items to sew. I started thinking about the clothes I already have and how I can punctuate them with new items. I also completed my first full wardrobe plan (Not Your Usual Fall Colours) on Pattern Review. It was stressful and rewarding to finish the plan. I don't know that I'll sew another 10 garment capsule (I find that too limiting), but I will definitely take the lessons learned and sew smaller, more manageable wardrobes.


3 comments:

  1. Just curious how you went about selling your fabric. My stash is rather obnoxious, too, and I would like to sell some off. Congrats on accomplishing some of your goals, sounds like you're well equipped for 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were on track for your goals. Even the ones that didn't happen - it seems like you still had a handle on attempting aspects of each. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a great plan! Here's wishing you good luck on achieving your sewing goasl in the new year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...