06 March 2010

I Think I Know What Tanked My Sewjo

Early last year, I cut out yards upon yards of fabric to make some tab-topped panels for my bedroom. Using this really nice creme-coloured cotton drapery-weight fabric, I began construction sometime last year. Fast forward to now, I decided to finish the curtains and hang them up.

Hold up. Wait. Not all cremes are the same. This creme has a LOT of red in it - so much so that when I hung the first curtain, an eerie (read ugly) pink hue came through from the bright sunlight. Yuck. I stared at it and tried to like it. I did not and still do not. I'm not a pink person. I can take shades of pink in small quantities and that is all. Having this hue in my place of rest is not going to work. Sigh.

So, that's it. These stupid curtains tanked my sewjo. I was so disappointed because I spent a lot of time finishing and sewing these long (and I mean long) ass seams. I spent even more time measuring, cutting, and sewing the tab tops and finishing the hems.

Man, why can't creme be a universal colour?? Sigh.

One panel is from a pair of curtains I bought many years ago. The other is one I made. Can you spot the pink panel?



My solution? I went shopping. I was NOT going to start over. Nope. Not even. I know I can make curtains. I've made the curtains in every room in my house. I don't have to make these. I went to IKEA and found what I was looking for: four super long CREME tab-topped panels. Aaah, joy. I have to admit thatwhen I first looked at the package, I was miffed that the hem wasn't finished. I thought for &*$%'s sake, can't they FINISH the freakin' edges?! Then, upon further inspection I noticed that there was a package of hem tape and instructions on how to customize the finished length. Heh. Sweet. Now I have some extra hem tape too. I will hang one curtain, measure the length and topstitch it.

I feel motivated to do some sewing. I spent some time with my friend Melody yesterday and I cut out the fabric, lining, and interfacing for my vest. I hope to get that finished this weekend.

L~

2 comments:

  1. That would definitely tank one's sewing mojo and glad to hear you found curtains at Ikea. Just may be you could make pillows with some of the fabric from the curtains you made. The pink may not be as noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that totally sucks! Hopefully with those curtains out of the way you can concentrate on sewing something a lot more fun for your next project. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...