26 June 2010

Butterick 5355

Woo Hoo...a pattern review!


Pattern Description (from envelope): Very loose-fitting, pullover tops A, B, C, D have elbow or full length raglan sleeves (wrong side of fabric will show), carriers, self or contrast sash and shaped hems, neck is finished with purchased bias tape. Purchased bottoms. B: sleeve casings with drawstrings to adjust sleeve length and fullness. C: purchased lace appliques.

Pattern Sizing: The pattern ranges in size from XS (4 - 6) to XXL (24-26). I sewed a Medium (12 - 14).

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, with a purchased belt.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were quite easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The picture does do the pattern any justice. I never would have purchased this pattern were it not for the reviews I saw on PR. That said, I love the full sleeves, tunic length, and neckline variations.

Fabric Used: I used a polyester georgette (or is it chiffon?) from Fabric.com. I don't know the difference between the two and my internet search only confirms my confusion about how to tell the difference.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Fitting
I made a muslin and immediately noticed that the top was too long. On me, it could have been a rather indecent dress. On the front and back, I removed a total of 3 inches by slashing and overlapping the pattern in 3 places: two 1.25-inch adjustments in the bodice and a 0.5-inch adjustment in the raglan armhole. I moved 1.5 inches from the sleeve: one 1-inch adjustment in the sleeve area and a 0.5-inch adjustment in the raglan cap.


Construction
I sewed the side seams using french seams. I could not figure out how to sew the sleeve seams with french seams. The right and wrong sides never matched properly and I ended up having the seam show on the outside. Instead, I used a very narrow zigzag stitch and trimmed close to the stitching.

I attempted to do narrow hems and it looked good...until I got to the bodice hem. The drastic curve on the side seam would not cooperate - even with massive starching. So, I trimmed off my attempt and went with a rolled hem.

I finished the neckline using 0.5-inch wide bias tape, finished to the inside of the top.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, definitely. I love my top and think it is very flattering. I highly recommend it to others.

2 comments:

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...