05 March 2011

Mini Wardrobe Tentative Plan

I am slowly returning to the sewing room. The first two months of 2011 were busy, to say the least. I did little to no sewing and am excited about getting my sew-jo back. The mini wardrobe contest started a few days ago on PR. The premise is the same: sew four coordinating garments in one month. The twist is that a fifth existing garment has to go along with your set. This shouldn't be a problem as I have lots of ways to work in the twist with my tentative plan. Speaking of plans...

I actually have a plan! I swore off making plans and story boards because in the past, my interest waned significantly once I started sewing. Hopefully four garments won't be too overwhelming and I'll be able to get it done in time. If not, no biggies. I am not going to pressure myself to get it done. So here is my tentative plan, subject to change at the blink of an eye, popped seam, or ill-fitting bust area.


(click image to enlarge)

Patterns (in order from upper left):
At first I was concerned that the plan seemed too dark. Spring is usually filled with light, fresh pastels and here I am channeling Darth Vader. Oh well. I like what I have so far and I can branch off of this palette to start another collection. In fact, the coral jacket will match nicely with another cotton print that is patiently waiting to become a skirt.

I actually feel kinda good about the patterns I selected. I made J965, J2908, and NL6300 multiple times. At Christine Jonson's open house last year, I was given the opportunity to try on several of her samples - including CJ630. I'll only need to shorten the skirt and drop the bust seam a bit. Burda 7866 is loose fitting and appears really easy to make. I completed the muslin for S2422 and am satisfied with the fit (more on this later). The only pattern that may take some work is B5328, so I'll work on this last. That way, if I don't get to finish at least I'll have met the contest requirements with the other garments.

I would start talking about the construction of the Simplicity jacket, but since I don't have enough freakin' fabric to cut out the jacket, I guess I'll have to wait. GRRRRRR... Don't you just hate when that happens? I have --> <-- much fabric left and it is not enough to cut the under collar or sleeve facing. I have tried several creative layouts to no avail. I may have to cut the under collar out of something else. Hopefully I can find a fabric with similar stretch and weight. Sigh.

Until next time!

L

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great plan to me. Been missing seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can enter more than the 4 made garments (and the 1 pre-existing) into this contest? I did a quick skim of the rules, and didn't see anything about it. This is also the first SWAP that I actually believe I may have a chance of finishing, so i'm not really sure what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your plan. I can see what you mean about it being a little dark, but it exactly the same kind of dark that I see in my wardrobe. I am not a "pastel girl," those colors just look really bad with my skin. If these are the colors you like, and the colors you look good in, then go for it. That pop of pink you have selected is gorgeous, and the darker pieces will work for more than one season since they aren't in easter-egg colors. I really like your plan!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...