13 July 2011

Do You Have a 6PAC?

Two years ago (wow, has it really been two years??), I sewed a 10-garment plan for the wardrobe contest on PR, but got bored with it 2/3 of the way through. I grew tired of the colour scheme and the pressure to finish by the deadline did nothing for the sewjo. While I did finish, I only regularly wear a few of the garments.

Last fall, I participated in the fall version of the 6PAC (a laid-back & flexible sew along) on Stitcher's Guild and was very successful with it. A "6PAC" is a small, six-garment wardrobe plan, sewn over the course of three months, that focuses on anchoring the look with the basics. Here are the details from last fall's collection:

(quoted directly from a post written by Stitcher's Guild member ejvc)

"Skirt or trousers (neutral)
3 blouses/tops (1 to match bottom, 2 to complement)
Cardigan (to match skirt/trousers)
Coat or jacket (co-ordinating neutral)

Thus for example in a black/grey/rust/ivory scheme this might include grey skinny jeans, a rust drape-neck top, an ivory turtleneck, a rust and grey print blouse, a long grey cardigan, and a black cropped jacket."

Sounds pretty simple, right? Here was my plan for last year:



Despite the difficulty I had with HP1099, I completed all items of my plan and I regularly wear everything. 6PACs are ideal for me because although there is a suggested list of items, the plan is completely customizable to suit my needs. I think this is a good way to remain focused on sewing a wardrobe because success is definitely attainable. The "rules" are generic, yet structured enough to encourage guided sewing by adding colour, prints, and wardrobe basics.

For more information about 6PACs, visit these links: Autumn 2010, Spring 2011, & Summer 2011.

Even though Summer just started, I've already begun thinking about clothes for next season. I'm going to finish a few more summer projects and then begin the transition into my fall 6PAC.

The major colours in the current plan are yellow, gray, and cream/white.


For fall, I will add teal pieces to the collection.




Update on M5847: Stalled! Whatareyagonnado? I'll finish it...eventually. =)

L




1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I've never done a wardrobe sewing plan type thingie. More power to you!
    Glad my post might help on the Burda dress!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...