18 June 2011

M5847: Complete

I hand-sewed the last button yesterday. I know there's a way to do this by machine, but I couldn't figure it out. After sticking myself with the needle a few times and even drawing blood with a staple (don't ask), the dress is finally done. I wore it to my friend's daughter's graduation party today. I received really nice compliments and had a great time.



I have two more dresses in queue. I will sew a second version of M5847, though I'm keeping the details under wraps. Why I'm being all 007 about it I don't know. Though, I will say that there is A LOT of topstitching involved.

I also started working on McCall's 6279. When I measured the pattern pieces, I was surprised to see that a straight size 16 required little to no adjustments. I shifted the bust fullness down two inches and made a quick muslin. So far, I am pleased with the results. I'll make the dress out of a linen & rayon blend. The colour is dark orange-rust and the buttons are two shades of light and medium brown.



If I work hard enough, I should be able to finish both dresses before the end of the month.

Until next time, be well!

L

4 comments:

  1. Here is how I sew a button on by machine.

    1. Place button at designated spot. Tape to garment with clear tape.

    2. Set stitch to widest zigzag and no stitch length.

    3. Lower needle through one hole and hand-crank to make sure zigzag width is wide or narrow enough. (I often handcrank the entire process just to make sure I don't bust a needle or button.) Continue until you feel you've zigged and zagged just enough.

    4. Cut thread tails long enough to be able to pull through to the wrong side and tie off.

    Good luck trying out this method.

    Cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it in person. The dress looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...