17 September 2011

Vogue 1250: Complete


This dress is super simple to make and extremely flattering. The front drape isn't too risque and the fit is superb. I knew I was going out on Friday and wanted something cute and special to wear. I made a mock-up last weekend, cut it out on Tuesday and finished the hems by Thursday. The dress really doesn't take that long to make; I just had to spread out my sewing time over a few days.

Fabric & Notions:
  • 2 yards of navy blue ponte knit from Fashionista Fabrics
Alterations:

I traced a size 14 everywhere except in the bust and upper waist area near the side dart seam; in these areas I morphed out to a size 16 to allow for more room. The mock-up showed the need for only a couple of small changes.

  1. I removed two inches of length in the front length because it was too long and created unsightly folds in the waist and high hip area.
  2. I also did a 1.5" swayback adjustment because fabric was pooling at my center back. In hindsight, I should have just taken out the length completely across the back pattern piece because the horizontal seam at the back is actually a bit too low. I'll correct this on future versions.
  3. I shortened the dress about 1.5" and took a 1" hem.
  4. Finally when I cut out the fashion fabric, I placed the center front slightly inward from the fold. This gave me little more room across the front in case I needed it.
Construction Details:

I sewed this mainly on my sewing machine using a stretch needle, walking foot, and small zig-zag stitch. I used my serger to finish only the shoulder seams and horizontal/vertical back seams. My serger did NOT like working with ponte knit. In fact, I think my serger and I must part ways because it's been fussing about a whole lotta shit for no good reason. I love my Janome, but we're at an impasse and I'm over it. =)

The pattern has a piece for a back neck facing. You're supposed to fold the rectangle in half, stitch it to the back neck edge, and then understitch. My knit was mildly beefy and I thought all that fabric would be too thick at the back. So, I cut the facing in half and stitched it down. While this did reduce bulk, next time I'll omit the facing and just turn the seam allowance under and coverstitch.

Conclusion:

In all, I am very pleased with my dress. I got a nice compliment from my guy friend and I felt really good wearing the dress last night. Busty chicks have no fear! This pattern is a winner. =)

Up next: Lady Grey coat and something else. Y'all know I can't just work on one thing at a time.

Be well!

L

13 comments:

  1. You look fantastic in your version of the dress of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this pattern myself because I have yet to see ANYONE that this design doesn't look good on. Your post was very helpful, and so funny! You and your serger coming to a parting of the ways made me laugh out loud--party because I've been there, done that. Good tools, in all walks of life, are key to success. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look wonderful! I just picked up 2 yds of black knit at Haberman's today just for this pattern! Very, very, very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww shucks. Thanks everyone! I am definitely going to make a couple more of these. Celeste is right. Donna Karan is on point with this one because EVERYONE looks good in this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be checking your blog for your version, Kristine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress is terrific! Love the belt and matching shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there!
    For meeting up tmw (Sunday) at the ASE: I'm free from 12:15 until 2:15pm (the rest of the time I'm in class). Just let me know if you want to meet up at the fashion stage at 12:15? We could have lunch together in the hall and then shop. :) kdburkhardt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful version of the 1250, I love how it looks on you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...