31 December 2011

2011 Sewing Year in Review


Completed Garments
I complied a list of all the garments I sewed this year.  While the count seems rather small, I certainly learned a great deal about fitting, styling, and choosing garments that suit my body type.  Here are the stats:
  • 11 tops
  • 4 skirts
  • 4 pairs of jeans
  • 3 dresses
  • 1 jacket
  • 1 purse/tote 
  • approximately 35 yards of fabric sewn
Incomplete Garments & Wadders
Reasons for garments rendered incomplete or wadders include poor fabric choice (in content and colour), need-to-refine sewing technique (stupid collar stand), unruly facings, terrible fit, and lack of love for the finished garment.  Although these garments will never reach my closet, I learned a lot in the process of their construction.
Top row:  S2365, BWOF 09-2009-137
Bottom row:  Burda 7866, S2288, NL6300 & fabric 
  • BWOF 09-2009-137 (skirt)
  • Burda 7866 (knit top)
  • Simplicity 2365 (woven top with pintucks)
  • Simplicity 2288 (knit cardigan)
  • New Look 6300 (woven skirt from TNT pattern)
  • Simplicity 4698 (jacket)
  • New Look 6917 (skirt)

Still in Progress
  • Colette Patterns Lady Grey Coat - Since I am following Gertie's tailoring techniques (as part of her 2010 sew along), this will be an ongoing project.  I hope to have it completed in time for Fall 2012.
  • Jalie 2680 - I want to resume working on this in March - just in time for Spring wearing.

Favourite Garment
It was really hard to narrow down a favourite garment.  So I picked the looks that I loved the most.

Vogue 1250
 
McCall's 6078 (top) with New Look 6897 (skirt)

I received nice compliments on both looks and can see many more versions of each in my regular rotation.


2012 Sewing Intentions
  • Jeans contest on PR:  I love making jeans and this contest is a great way to start off the new sewing year.  I already have ideas for the contest.
  • SWAP contest on Stitcher's Guild:  The contest runs through the end of April and if I work hard enough, I should be able to finish it by then, if not before.  As the theme centers around fit and developing tried-n-true patterns, I am motivated to follow through with my plans.
  • Advance to "intermediate":  I've been sewing for almost eight years and have definitely learned a lot.  If I successfully sew a lined jacket and attach a collar stand to a good-fitting woven blouse, then I will officially consider myself an intermediate-level sewer.
  • Fabric-light:  The fabric fast of 2011 didn't go so well.  In the first six months of the year, I bought a lot of fabric (we won't speak on yardages).  Fortunately, this trend did not continue in the last half of the year.  I have only bought pieces that I really liked and have no interest in buying fabric right now.  I will make exceptions for extra special pieces or linings.
  •  Stash sewing:  Since I have so much fabric, I intend to sew primarily from my stash. 
I thank everyone who takes the time to read my blog.  When I started this blog almost five years ago (sorta missed several blogiversaries...), I had no idea that it would last this long and that I'd enjoy doing it so much.  I never was good at keeping a diary, but this seems to work for me! Your continued interest and comments are cherished and very much appreciated.

I look forward to another productive sewing year in 2012.  I hope to continue sharing my sewing trials and victories with you all and reading about yours as well.

I want to wish everyone a peaceful and wonderful new year filled with hope, happiness, good health, and love.  Happy new year!

L

      5 comments:

      1. What s magnificent sewing year and great plans for 2012!

        ReplyDelete
      2. You've had a great sewing year - full of great garments, learning experiences and creativity! Happy New Year and I hope 2012 brings you even more time to sew!

        ReplyDelete
      3. The outfit with NL6897 is awesome!!! It's my favorite outfit of yours.

        Happy and healthy new year to you!!!

        ReplyDelete
      4. You have made a nice collection. Looking forward to see your work in 2012.
        Happy new year.

        ReplyDelete
      5. You definitely had a great year of sewing and looking forwward to 2012... Happy New Year.

        ReplyDelete

      Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

      LinkWithin

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...