This is the fourth item of my 2012 SWAP and I'm moving right along with construction. Jalie writes fantastic instructions for their patterns. Not only are the instructions thorough and easy to read, the drawings are amazingly clear. Unfortunately, I have already had some issues with constructing this jacket.
Preshrinking the Fabric
I should have known that this was going to be a
Fortunately, what remained was enough to cut out the jacket. While cutting out the main pieces, it occurred to me that I needed to make the same swayback alteration on the lining piece since the pattern includes separate pieces for shell and lining. After staring at the pattern for several seconds, I noticed that I goofed up the swayback adjustment. I took out a wedge of 5/8" from side seam to center back, tapering to nothing at the center back. This is suppose to be done the other way around. I have NO idea what I was thinking when I did this. Since I had already cut out the fashion fabric. there was nothing I could do about it. I just hope that it won't look like too much of a hot mess. As for other alterations, I shortened the sleeve 1.5 inches and that's it! I made a muslin cutting a straight size Z.
I had some fears about doing a welt pocket since I had never done one before. I can't emphasize enough how super simple and clear the instructions are. Before cutting into my jacket, I practiced the technique on some wool flannel and cotton flannel scraps.
I've made more progress on the jacket and will describe how I inserted sleeve heads and set the sleeves in my next update.
Until then, be well!