02 January 2012

NL6897: 3rd SWAP Garment Completed

I started sewing garments for the 2012 SWAP on Monday, 26 Dec.  Why is that anticipation sometimes leads to no motivation and/or disappointment?  I eagerly awaited the start of the contest, only to not feel motivated once it began.  What's that about?  I thought I would be in my sewing room the whole day.  Nope.  I was only in there for an hour or so.  Anyway, I finished the skirt and will share the details.

Fabric & Notions:
  • brown wool suiting
  • 7" invisible zipper
  • camel Ambiance lining
  • 1.5"-wide cream petersham cut to waist measurement plus extra for folding under
  • fusible interfacing for the zipper area
Sewing this skirt was super simple since I made it twice already.  The only change was to take slightly bigger seam allowances.  As the notions list above suggests, I used an invisible zipper, inserted a lining, and faced the waist with petersham.  I used the techniques described in these two posts:  invisible zipper, lining & facing with petersham.  I'm glad I took the time to write the second post as I complete forgot how to do this!  I had to refer back to this post a couple of times to refresh my memory.

Originally, I included the flounce on this skirt as I did on the first one.  Apparently the fabric didn't have the right amount of drape because the flounce stuck out like a shark's fin.  Don't ask me why this image popped in my head.  What can I say?  I grew up in the 80s.  (Do you know the origin of this still-shot?)

 (new skirt; old skirt)

Yeah...see?  That thing had to go.  Believe me, it was not cute.  I have another wool suiting with far more drape out of which I might sew this pattern again. 



I don't know if I'll keep this or not.  I don't like how it fits - even though the first two versions fit beautifully.  I think the fabric is just too...something.  The way it hangs on the dress form is how it hangs on me.  Meh.  If I have to use this as a last resort, I will.  In the meantime, Ive already started looking for something else.

I leave you with the entire video from which that still-shot was taken.  If you guessed LL Cool J's I'm Bad video, you get a cookie.  Since you are not here to claim your cookie, I'll enjoy it for you.  =) 




L

2 comments:

  1. #1 I love your skirt- #2... I watched the entire video... oh how I loved him back in the day! Thanks!! Put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...