27 February 2012

Jalie 2559: Fail

After much hard work and deliberation, I finally have to admit that this project is a major fail!  While the pattern is nicely drafted and fits reasonably well (with a few minor alterations), the cause of the failure was completely due to fabric choice.  I used a wool flannel and with all of the layers, the garment doesn't hang nor fit as nicely after the facing/lining unit is attached.  It's just too thick many areas and making sharp collar points is nearly impossible.  Here are a couple of pictures of where the jacket stands at present.

  Meh. 

I'll likely finish it and give it away.  I'm not a fan of the finished product and I know I'll never wear it.

Unfortunately, this tanks my motivation for the SWAP.  I did finish another piece of the plan, but I have no desire to focus on the remaining pieces, especially now since I need to start over on the jacket.  I'm not even pressed about it.  There are so many other things I want to sew right now and I'm going to do just that. 

Many thanks to everyone who left comments on my jeans. I really appreciate it. =)

Parting shot of the other hobby that consumes some of my time:


L

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't call it a fail... per se'... I would just say that you made that for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling when you put so much effort into a garment only to have a fail garment. Give yourself a break, the jackets looks good, on the bright side there was a lesson learned " the fabric choice" is one of the most important aspect of sewing. I know that feeling, because I've made the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry your project did not turn out as you planned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're being much too harsh on yourself. Don't worry about the collar points. They are never going to be perfectly sharp when using a heavier wool fabric. Just trim and clip your seams to reduce as much bulk as you feel safe doing. If the lining isn't in yet you could always re-sew the lapels and round off the corners. I went back and read your welt pocket post. How about adding a button to hold the flap down. That would keep everything concealed. At any rate please don't beat yourself up too much about this. I blame the pattern companies that lead us to believe we can make a tailored garment without having to do the actually tailoring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...