05 February 2012

Why I Love & Hate Contests

Contests are an opportunity to focus solely on the challenge presented.  There are rules to follow and deadlines to meet.  Contests serve as a good motivation to try something new or hone old skills and there's a sense of accomplishment when the contest is completed. The excitement of the start of a new contest brings about creative ideas and the prospects of planning fabric and patterns.

I have come to realize that while contests are fun and challenging, I also hate them.  It's not the contest per se, but the feeling that I can't begin other projects until after the contest is over.  As a result, I end up rushing to finish a garment and making far more mistakes.  Plus, right now I can't help but think of all the new sewing possibilities for Spring.   The fact that it's 40 degrees outside...in February...in Mchigan is NOT helping.  (What is up with the weather??  I am not at all a fan of the cold, but it should not be this warm in February.  My mother's daffodils broke ground last month due to the abnormally mild winter.  That is not good!)

Case in point:  I am working on two more pairs of jeans for the Jeans Contest.  On one pair, I have sewn and unpicked the waistband three times.  On the other pair, it took me forever to come up with the simplest back pocket design - and I'm not even a big fan of it.  With just over a week to go, I don't even know if I'll finish the contest.

As for the SWAP, I am still committed to finishing, though I am stalled on the jacket.  I got the fit to a point where I like it and now I need to insert the lining.  The problem is, I neglected to make the same adjustments to the lining pieces when I adjusted the fashion fabric.  I only vaguely remember what I did.  I usually write these things down as soon as I do them, but didn't this time.  I just hope the lining goes in smoothly.

Finally, the Fashion in Detroit show is coming up in a month and I want to make a dress for that.  After viewing the comments left on my last post, I've decided on Butterick 5559.  There are only three pieces, it's knit, and I should be able to sew it up rather quickly - thus freeing up more time and energy to devote to my SWAP.

I think these will be my last contests for a long time.  I might join a sew along or two, but I'm over competitions.  Anyone else have experience with contest fatigue?


L



3 comments:

  1. Just go for it! I had a whole lot of fun making those dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given up on the PR contests, but quite like SWAP and the 6PAC sew alongs on Stitcher's Guild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, PR contests. Every time I think I'll give it a miss...but then I..just...can't...resist.
    I never win or come runner up. Lucky if I get 6 votes.lol!
    I've made a rule I don't enter a contest unless it fits in with the sewing plans I already have. Like, I looked at the LBD contest, but I never wear LBD at least not ones without some kind of pattern. So had to skip that one and went for the upcycle one instead as I have soo many pieces that could do with reusing in some way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...