Thank you all for taking the time to comment on my post about the Jalie jacket. I appreciate the support and encouragement.
Serenity Love said:
I wouldn't call it a fail... per se'... I would just say that you made that for someone else.
I *love* this attitude. From this point on, garments that are no longer meant for me will be those made for someone else. =)
I know that feeling when you put so much effort into a garment only to have a fail garment. Give yourself a break, the jackets looks good, on the bright side there was a lesson learned " the fabric choice" is one of the most important aspect of sewing. I know that feeling, because I've made the same mistake.
Definitely! This was a lesson learned in fabric choice - and not just for this pattern. I will be much more aware of the suggested fabrics and choose wisely next time.
So sorry your project did not turn out as you planned!
Thanks Faye! It's not the first, and it most certainly won't be the last.
I think you're being much too harsh on yourself. Don't worry about the collar points. They are never going to be perfectly sharp when using a heavier wool fabric. Just trim and clip your seams to reduce as much bulk as you feel safe doing. If the lining isn't in yet you could always re-sew the lapels and round off the corners. I went back and read your welt pocket post. How about adding a button to hold the flap down. That would keep everything concealed. At any rate please don't beat yourself up too much about this. I blame the pattern companies that lead us to believe we can make a tailored garment without having to do the actually tailoring.
Thank you so much for your response. I trimmed and clipped the seams so that the bulky areas would lay as flat as possible. The lining is in, but I have yet to press or topstitch the facing area. I was just so disappointed with the fit, I stopped working on it. I thought about adding a button to the pocket flaps to keep them down. This pattern can probably be made of a beefy wool, but I am not that experienced in proper tailoring to make it work. I used a weft interfacing on the fronts, facings, and pretty much everywhere else. In hindsight, it was just too much - especially in the seam allowances at the collar points. It's a great lesson learned!
Again, many thanks to all!
As for now, I am working on McCall's 6279. More on this soon!