01 April 2012

Progress Updates & Sew Along

Sewing has come to somewhat of a halt due to exams two weeks ago and the increase of things to do as the end of the semester nears (hallelujah). Plus, I was mildly ill after having picked up a cold from one of my students.  He was sniffly, feverish, but said he needed help on his work.  I tried to convince him to take his sick @ss home, but he wouldn't leave.  Needless to say, the transference of germs went without a hitch.  Grrr.  Anyway, on with the updates...


McCall's 6279:  trench dress
I'm almost finished with the dress.  I made the buttonholes and just need to sew on the buttons.  I still haven't decided if I'll keep this garment or not.  The front doesn't want to hang properly.  I'll sew the buttons and try it on one last time.  If I don't like it, I'll harvest the buttons and try the dress again.

Simplicity 2473:  sheath dress
I made the alterations and muslin for this dress.  So far, I'm really pleased with the fit.  Although here are a couple of areas that need a bit of tweaking, I should be able to cut this out of my fashion fabric soon.

Dressapalooza
My dress kick is still in full effect.  I have pulled out even more patterns and assembled more fabric to sew.  I will present more details on this in a future post.

SWAP 2012
Meh. 

Faye's "Starting at the Top" Sew-Along
I love me some Faye-inspired sew alongs.  From 1 Apr to 15 Apr, the goal is to sew tops.  Simple right?  In theory, yes.  In practice, not so much.  I have over 350 patterns (judge me not...lest ye be pattern free) and less than 15 days to sew (given the demands of work and other obligations).  I narrowed my choices down to four patterns (with one back up) and will commit to sewing only one top for the challenge. 

  • Simplicity 2365/2447







Both have shoulder princess seams and are patterns that I've tried before.  The front fits pretty well, but the back has too much width.  I'll need to adjust the pattern, but that won't be difficult.  The challenge will come with properly attaching the collar stand.  This could be the task that makes or breaks the garment since I SUCK at collar stands.

  • Burda World of Fashion 7-2009-129 and 7-2009-128
Both patterns use the same front and back pieces.  The instructions are super simple thus making the tops fairly quick to construct.  Unfortunately since there are no darts for bust shaping, I am uncertain of how either one of these tops will look on me.  So, I have to decide if I want to invest the time in tracing, cutting, and fitting given the time constraints of the challenge.

  • New Look 6648
If all else fails, I know I can cut and sew one of these tops in a flash.  The intended fabric is already laundered, so this should be a no-brainer.

Decisions, decisions!  Hopefully my next post will include a picture of a certain finished linen dress as well as the beginnings of a top for the challenge.  Until next time, be well!

L

1 comment:

  1. Just saw you were already nominated for the Leibster award, I nominated you again, oops you deserve it. I made Simplicity 2365 great pattern, can't wait to see your version.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...