After countless incidents of seam-ripping and much re-fitting, the red silk dress is finally complete!
Fabric & Notions:
- 2.5 yards of 45" strawberry red silk suiting
- 2.5 yards of red Ambiance lining
- 18" invisible zipper
- fusible interfacing for the midriff band, zipper area, and lining
- 70/10 Microtex sharp needle (for both the shell and lining)
- walking foot (for sewing the lining)
The details of the alterations are detailed in this post. In summary, here's what I did:
- cut size 14
- lowered the bust fullness 1 1/4 inches
- 2" FBA using the slash & spread method
- 5/8" broad back adjustment
- 1" sway back adjustment
- lowered front neckline 1"
- shortened the skirt 2 1/4 inches
Upon cutting out the fashion fabric, I added an extra half-inch to the side seams for fit insurance. I ended needing to take this back out, plus more because the bodice seemed boxy. The dress doesn't fit quite as nicely as the muslin and there are a couple of reasons why. First the midriff band is too low and a bid too wide. After having done many FBAs, I am learning that the extra length created by the slash & spread method is sometimes too much for my frame.Second, I have picked up some weight. The muslin pictures were taken in the middle of April and I can definitely see a weight change.
In an effort to finish the dress, I neglected to take any in-progress pictures of the lining. I used the same process of stabilizing and installing the lining as detailed in my pattern review of Simplicity 2648. Since I didn't include the facings, I supported the neckline and armhole areas with fusible interfacing. To create the interfacing pieces, I measured down two inches from the cut line in each area and blended as needed. I fused the interfacing directly to the wrong side of the lining and proceeded with sewing as normal. The pictures below are from S2648.
I sewed all of the seams on my machine and finished the edges individually on my serger. I started out using an 80/12 needle, but found that the needle punctured the fabric rather forcefully. Switching to the smaller Microtex needle solved the problem. All seams on the shell were pressed open to reduce bulk while seams on the lining were serged together.
I removed the belt loops. They were too big and floppy and looked odd with a skinny belt. When I make this again, I will adjust the size of the loops so that they lie closer to the dress.
I share Kyle and Rachelle's sentiments about the fabulousness of this pattern as well as other sewers on Pattern Review. This is a good pattern with lots of possibilities for design as well as fit. I definitely intend to make it again and will likely include it in my fall 6PAC wardrobe plan.
Up next: comments about the dressapalooza and a summer 6PAC wardrobe plan
Until next time, be well!