30 August 2012

6PAC #1 & Mini Wardrobe

Earlier this year, I said I wasn't going to participate in another PR contest.  However, the draw of the Mini Wardrobe challenge is relentless and I've decided to give it a go.  Fortunately, I already have a storyboard mapped out as a result of planning for the first of two (maybe three) 6PACs.

Each season, members on Stitcher's Guild host a 3-month sew along to create a wardrobe of six garments.  I've talked about this idea quite a bit here, so I won't repeat the details.  Instead, I will direct you to the active thread that contains all of the information.

I have three 6PAC plans that I'd like to sew for fall.  One plan includes traditional fall colours while the other two have much cooler hues.

6PAC#1:  brown, cream, orange
6PAC#2:  black, white, grey, magenta
6PAC#3:  grey, navy blue, white

While these plans may seem rather ambitious, I am not too worried.  The 6PAC plans are seasonal challenges so I can easily extend plans 2 and 3 into winter.

To compete in the Mini Wardrobe contest, participants are to make five items in one month.  The five items, which include two bottoms, two tops, and a key item, must coordinate to make no less than six outfits.  The fifth item can be made, purchased, or previously owned.  I've opted to stick with patterns that I made before since the time given to complete the challenge is so short.  Plus, my sewing always takes a hit with the start of school.



tentative storyboard and fabric

Simplicity 2860 (pants) - light brown wool herringbone pinstripe
I've worked out the fit on the Simplicity pants and am really pleased with how they look.  The waistband, however, has been a royal PITA; I am struggling with getting a nice finish.  More details on that in a future post.

BWOF 8-2005-102 (skirt) - light brown wool blend with metallic threads
The pattern is traced and altered.  I just need to make a muslin to ensure that I've got the length right and that I'll like the style on me.  If I don't like it, I'll resort to one of my TNT patterns and move on.

Simplicity 2599 - dark brown floral silk charmeuse
Working with silk charmeuse may be a challenge.  I've sought some tips online so that I know what to expect.  I am hesitant to try starch because I don't know if it will change the hand of the fabric.  I'll cut a small swatch, apply starch, and then machine wash it.  If the fabric holds up well, then I'll proceed with the process on the whole piece.  Otherwise, I will just have to sew slowly and carefully so as not to distort the fabric too much.

New Look 6648 - orange rayon knit with metallic threads
I've made this pattern three or four times now.  I should be able to complete this in one day.  My knit is rather thin, so I need to decide if I'm going to underline this or not.


McCall's 4923 or Simplicity 2560 (cardigan) - cream ponte knit or white rayon modal knit
I keep going back and forth with this option.  I've cut out the McCall's cardigan, but I don't know if I'll like the finished product.  The rayon-poly ponte knit has too much polyester and I just don't like how it feels.  I'll sew it up and see how it looks.  If it doesn't work out, then I can fall back on the Simplicity cardigan.

That's it for now.  I've got several projects in the mix, so I suppose I should start working!

Until next time...

L

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful plan to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks elegant. I'm participating too though need to check the 6 outfits thing works with my plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great line-up of fabrics & patterns. My favorite is the brown, cream & orange colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...