28 October 2012

If you looked up "fail" in the dictionary...

...you'd probably see these pictures:


At the time, this seemed like a good idea.  In practice, however, nothing could be further from the truth!  Adding extra length to the seams caused two major and not-worth-it problems.  First, the convex and concave curves did not want to play well.  The seam on piece 8 was far longer than that on the other and I ended up with several puckers.  Grrr.  Second, the extra length drastically through off the CB seam on the yoke.  The seam was angled a full inch (!!!) away from CB.  I can totally see why it happened, but that still doesn't make me happy.  Grrrrrrr.  

I picked the seam apart and attempted to remove the extra length.  Unfortunately since I had already serged and trimmed the seam, nothing matched properly and I deemed the project a failure.   There is a bright side, though.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to add one or two rows of topstitching to the garment.  Now that this project is a wadder, I could add a couple of rows to each half of the front/back and see how I like it.

I do have more denim and intend to give this pattern a second try.  I don't know if I'll be able to contribute anything to the Carnival of Skirts, though.  With the sew along ending on Wednesday and my having to start from scratch, time is running out.

L

4 comments:

  1. It happens to the best of us and allow us to try and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dang yoke - it the thing that always give me such problems with skirts like that. Remember I had to throw away a wadder last month due to the same thing.

    Don't worry so much about the Carnival deadline - the blog will stay up and active for a good while after Wednesday, so you'll still have a chance to post new skirts - and have them added to the slide show. You are an important to all my sewalongs. Go ahead and fix your skirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the yoke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, don't give up...you'll have success, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...