07 January 2013

Jalie 2559: Sleeve Heads

I have a small update for the Jalie jacket.  After considering all of your comments about the sleeve heads, I opted to take the "average" of all suggestions.  The polar fleece was too thick for this fabric and the cotton flannel was too thin.  I ended up compromising with 100% cotton batting. The nice thing about this material is that the thickness is just right and provides a lot of support without being too bulky.  

left sleeve
It would be too much for both sleeves to set so nicely on the first try, right?  It took four tries and three (or was it four?) sleeve heads to set the other sleeve.  The result?

right sleeve
Believe me, it looked far worse than this after the first few attempts.  The armhole was so stretched out of shape that this was the best I could do without cutting a whole new side front, side back, and upper/under sleeves.  I even thought about unpicking both sleeves and retrying the polar fleece or cotton flannel.  Luckily I didn't have to resort to either option.  Using my tailor's ham and a LOT of steam, I was able to smooth out the puckers enough to be happy with the result.


Although it's not very visible in the second photo, the puckers aren't there.  Also using a smaller needle really helped remove some of the wrinkles/puckers that occurred in the McCall's skirt.

Now I have to do the lining.  I used a stretch poly charmeuse for the skirt, but I haven't decided if I will use the same fabric for the jacket. 

That's all for now.  School starts in a couple of days and I need to get prepared!  I hope to squeeze in some sewing before then.  Until next time, be well.

L

8 comments:

  1. You did a great job with the sleeves and the jacket is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's looking great - can't wait to see it finished (although it is not jacket weather here - it's going to be 43 Celsius today (109F).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I keep telling myself that I will make a jacket soon. I really need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really worked that thing out Lynn. Looking forward to seeing it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The jacket is looking great! I really like the sleeve heads and home made shoulder pads - what an obvious solution!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jacket is really looking good. I'm glad you were able to work out the sleeves. Why do sleeves alway require some sort of struggle? I love to make jackets but dread getting to the sleeves. You are doing a super job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That left sleeve head looks immaculate - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your jacket looks great! you've reminded me I haven't tackled anything that involves with lineing in years, kind of a scarey thought lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...