17 March 2013

Google Reader & Following Blogs


This week's internet buzz surrounded the announcement that Google is abandoning Google Reader.  I have a minor in Computer Science, taught programming with C++ and have no idea what this announcement means!  To stay current on the blogs I follow, I use the blog roll that appears on the right side of my blog.  It's updated whenever someone posts something new to their blog.  Rarely do I sign in to Google and check out the "reader area."  

I have questions!

1.  If Google Reader is closing, does that mean my blog roll won't be updated?

2.  I've noticed a few people switch to Bloglovin'.  What's that? =)

3.  Has anyone tried Google Takeout - the application that's supposed to let you save the names/links of people you follow and that follow you?

Thanks!

L

8 comments:

  1. I wrote a post on this last night, trying to review several readers: http://mary-sews.blogspot.com/2013/03/searching-for-blogger-replacement.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also looking for a Google reader replacement. I am thinking that blogger will not be affected by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not. I love reading other blogs and am tickled pink that folks stop by to read my mumblings. =)

      Delete
  3. You should be fine with you blog roll --- and I noticed you have followers using Google Friend Connect (which Google is still pushing). The biggest problem is for us that use it to simply follow numerous blogs. I use it on my desktop, laptop, android phone, and my android tablet --- love that I can read blogs no matter where I am -- but I do that through Google Reader so now I have to find another app that will connect me to all my RSS blog feeds. I haven't began to look at replacements yet, but did read about several at LifeHacker -- including using the export/import functions to transfer my long list of blogs I follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I don't follow many blogs but like to read when I have a minute at work, home, onthego and Google Reader makes that easy. I've switched over to Feedly which is a free chrome app and it seems to work just fine.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the information. I'll definitely check it out.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for joining the sewalong Lynn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used the Google takeout to save and export my subscriptions to another reader. I am still using Google reader until it closes because I can scroll through and read each of the blogs I follow's new posts in their entirety by scrolling through reader. The other ones I have tried and exported to only have the start of the post - you still have to open the post to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...