11 March 2013

Simplicity 1945 (UFO): Complete


Pattern love in effect!  This is such a great pattern with all of the variations in garments to be made.  From the cowl neck top to the dolman sleeve cardigan to the pleated wrapped top, what's not to like about this pattern?  

Fabric & Notions
  • a little less than 2 yards of rayon-lycra jersey
  • serger & thread

Alterations & Fit

I made a muslin out of some thicker rayon-lycra jersey that I had from an older project.  I cut and sewed a straight size 16 according to my bust measurements.  The top is a bit roomy in the back, but that's because I didn't do a swayback adjustment.  I didn't make an FBA or do any adjustments at all.  I think the fit is pretty good.  There are a couple of wrinkles near the bust, but I think that's to be expected since the sleeves are raglan-style instead of set in.

Construction

There's not much to sewing this pattern.  I didn't take any in-progress shots because it sews up very quickly.  There are five pieces:  bodice front/back, sleeve front/back, and the cowl.  If you've ever sewn a simple knit shirt, sewing this is just as easy.  

Cowl
 
The cowl is HUGE and cut in a single layer of fabric on the bias.  Since I had enough fabric to make another top, I opted to cut this cowl on the straight grain.  The drape doesn't appear to be affected by this.

Conclusion

I love love love this top!  I wore it under my Vogue 1036 jacket.  My students wondered why I was so "dressed up" today.  Jeans and a denim jacket is dressed up?  I think I am officially OLD.



********

UFO Tally:

1.  Beignet (relinquished back to Area 51)
2.  Simplicity 2648
3.  Simplicity 1945 (needs coverstitching)
4.  Jalie 2559
5.  Vogue 8426 (on deck)
6.  Simplicity 2804
7.  BWOF 9-2009-134


Until next time, peace!

L

13 comments:

  1. You are tearing through all your UFOs!! I have that pattern too but never tried it. Someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I meant to say it looks great on you, and I love the color too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this top! Looks fabulous on you too, it has a great fit! I love anything with a cowl neck and this is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I love quick sews :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new top. Had that pattern for quite some time, need to get it done too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! You are going to make me try this one. It look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great top - excellent colour. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its a lovely top by itself and also under a jacket - very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your top too, and a great color on you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah...you rocked that one! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this top (especially, the color and the cowl)! You have really been killing those UFOs. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone! This top is so comfortable and simple to make. This pattern's a winner!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...