09 June 2013

Fabric Haul for Two Good Causes

I've been in a funk lately and I turned to retail therapy for a temporary cure.  I've mentioned several times that I have "family drama" going on.  Perhaps one day I'll share some of the details.  For now, let's just say eight years of this drama has worn me down and I just can't take it anymore.  This is the first good cause for the fabric haul.

Twice a year, a local non-profit arts and crafts organization, at which I sometimes volunteer, sells donated fabric to raise money.  For a total of $30, I got six pieces of poly-rayon wovens earmarked and tagged for Express, six wools (coatings and suit-weight), four double knits, a bunch of short-length knits perfect for making underwear, a single piece of cotton broadcloth, and a some lace trims and pieces. 100% of the proceeds goes to the non-profit.  So in a sense I did a good thing, right?  Sure I could have just donated the $30 to the organization and walk away with nothing since I really do not need any more fabric.  Then again, see cause number one.


Here are the pieces that were created for Express.  Each piece measures one meter and has a tag and information sheet from the textile manufacturer.  The sheet lists the fiber content, washing instructions, lot number, and fabric name.  The pieces are rayon-polyester-lycra blends with about 10% stretch across the grain.

I got six pieces of wool, but one piece will be given back to the organization.  When I looked at it again, I noticed that it had a lot of short animal hairs.  I tried to take some of it off, but it's a bigger job than I'm willing to undertake.  The purple, black, and green fabrics are perfect for skirts.  The tan fabric is a heavyweight coating, and the fabric on the far right is a knit boucle'.


    These are the double knits.  From left to right is rayon-poly-lycra, poly-lycra x 2, and wool-poly lycra.  The middle two fabrics are quite stiff and will probably be used for skirts.

    Thee next pieces are short lengths of knit samples, again from a textile manufacturer.  At first I passed on these, but then I thought that these would be great for making underwear.  Jalie 2568 only requires 3/8 yd of fabric and these samples are more than large enough.  Plus, they're all cotton, rayon, modal, or some combination of the three.

    Soooooo...yeah.  Retail therapy has its ups and downs.  I don't have any desire to acquire any more fabric for now.  What I need is relief from the family issue.

    L

    15 comments:

    1. Sorry To Hear About Your Family Issues...That's No Fun And Can Eat U Up Inside... But On The Other Hand, Those Fabric!!!! I WIsh The Event Is In MyTown! :) Great Haul...

      ReplyDelete
    2. Nice fabric haul and retail therapy helps with a lot of issues, including family ones. Those can be very hard on a person. Now take some time to enjoy making up some of this fabric.

      ReplyDelete
    3. A little fabric therapy like this does help to take your mind of family issues for a small part of the day. You have hauled in some lovely pieces of fabric for future sewing, when you are up to it. Look after yourself...J

      ReplyDelete
    4. How could you have possibly passed up all that fabric for $30. I think your purchase was wonderful, especially if since it helped the stress level.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Wow, some great bargains, fabric shopping and sewing will be a good distraction from family woes.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Wow, some great bargains, fabric shopping and sewing will be a good distraction from family woes.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Family issues can really bring you down. I am going through some of my own but not so long term as your. Retail therapy does help. Good luck.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I do the same thing in charity shops. It makes retail therapy a lot less guilt inducing.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Family drama is the worst. I hope it passes soon, but in the meanwhile stitch up some of those pretties, or go for a run, or meet a friend for lunch. Like me! Just 4 days stands between me and summer, so let's find a day soon!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Happy sewing. Hope there is some respite from the family drama. Thanks for sharing the fabric haul with us, you got a good amount there for the money.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Hi L, a very constructive thing to do after family tensions - many of us have them, you can be rest assured - set your boundaries and limit time you spend with them - I realise with families you do have to see them, and sometimes members like to "hook" you into the drama. Take care of yourself first.

      ReplyDelete
    12. I wanted to thank everyone for sharing such kind words of support. I realize that my fabric stashing started around the time the 'drama' came into being. My stash is directly correlated to this and I've accepted that. I am doing my best and trying to take care of me. I've run into a wall at the moment and am feeling its effects.

      ReplyDelete
    13. L, family dramas suck! While they suck, they also suck time / mood / energy out of our lives.

      What has helped me to dissociate myself and protect myself from being sucked into the middle of the drama are these 3 lines - Do not engage, do not attack, do not defend.

      Allow yourself to be treated gently by your on self.... No guilt whatsoever! If it means fabric shopping that doesn't hurt the budget, that's even more awesome!!

      Hugs and this too shall pass!

      ReplyDelete
    14. I am so sorry you are having family issues. However $30 worth of fabric seems worth it to help you cope. Seems like a bargain in more ways than one. Take care of yourself. ♥

      ReplyDelete
    15. Great fabric haul and so agree with KayoticSewing on the 3Ds.... Keeps certain people at bay and life serene.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...