13 June 2013

Wadder Number...I Lost Count

I had high hopes for the iconic wrap dress a la Vogue 8379.  Maaaaaaaan, this FAIL came straight from the heart.  Where do I even begin?  This dress is just all kinds of wrong.  Each FAIL ranks supreme in its awfulness, so I suppose I should just list the issues as they come to mind.

Fit 
I made a muslin a couple of years ago and altered the pattern to fit.  I seem to have developed an unconscious affinity to working on older projects with completed muslins.  Obviously I need to rethink or scrap this approach 'cause the shiz ain't workin'.

The look on my face says it all:  I am NOT feeling anything about this.  The FBA I made is too big and gives me SBS (Saggy Boob Syndrome).  The bad thing (or good thing depending on how you think about it) is my boobs aren't even in the saggy area; they're above it.

The bodice is too short for my liking and the V-neck is too low.  That's not a camisole peeking out; it's my bra.

I lopped off four inches of length and the dress is still too long.

The sleeves are tight, but that's because I've been pumping iron.  I do 15-pound curls and 25-pound tricep exercises with free weights.  Apparently it's working. 

Finally the back hem is higher than the front hem.  I forgot to add a wedge for my trunk junk.


Facings
The facings on this dress are pure evil and a good lesson in Zen practices.  I unpicked them all and settled on binding.  This was going well until it came time to address the skirt.  You see, the bodice has an attached facing while the skirt has a self-facing.  WTF?  I sort of winged that whole area and it shows.  I tried to bind the bodice and skirt separately, but it didn't turn out so well.  It's a hot mess.

Ties
The ties are entirely too short.  You can see the teeny-tiny bow it makes in the front.  To get that little ass bow, I practically had to cut off circulation to my lower half.  
And then to top it off, the current tie location and desired tie location are inches apart. 

This FAIL of epic proportions is going to become one with a landfill.  It is not worth repairing and I would not even donate this to the devil himself - despite bestowing demonic facings upon the sewing world.

I might try to save the skirt because I really do like the fabric.  Anyone who knows me knows that "might try" means "hang it up in the UFO closet until I'm tired of looking at it and toss it at the next purge."
So what number wadder is this?  Four?  Five?  Maybe even six.  I am not at all defeated;  I have already started work on the next project.  

Even though my sewing is in somewhat of a slump, my pottery output is on fire...no pun intended.  Everything is wheel-thrown with a white stone wear clay body.

The first pair of pictures show coffee mugs I made.  The green mug is complete and functional; I had a cup of tea a few hours ago.  The mugs on the right are bisqued.  I glazed them today and will probably get them back next week.

This is a drum I made a couple of months ago.  The horn and drum (sans skin) were both wheel thrown and the tube was extruded.


I learned how to make lotion/soap dispensers and took it to the next level.  I'm really enjoying making bottles now.  The bottle on the right is greenware and needs to be fired, glazed, and fired again to complete.

This is a replacement casserole dish.  The first one I made stuck to the kiln shelf and cracked.  I was really disappointed because it's the first lidded piece that I made that had a really good fit.  Making lidded pottery takes skill and I finally got it right. 





The picture on the left shows the first casserole dish.  The photo on the right shows the bottom of the same dish.  I kept it so that I could get a decent measure for the replacement.  Clay shrinks as it dries and after its fired, so I made the second bowl's opening  bigger in the hopes that the original lid will fit.
So far, so good!
Up next in the sewing queue:  BWOF 8-2005-102 (skirt)

Finally I want to thank everyone again for their words of encouragement and support.  I am doing the best that I can.  I've started a blog post that gives a bit of detail; I may post it soon.

Until next time, be well!

L

25 comments:

  1. Grrrr! I feel your pain with the dress - I would consign it to the wadder pile and run up something quick and satisfying that you KNOW looks good on you!

    And your pottery - wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. =) I'm not even thinking about this crazy dress. It's already a member of Wadderville.

      Delete
  2. the first thing I made after all these years turned out to be a mess, there's nothing worse than tossing out good money lol!can you turn it into a skirt or a blouse? beautiful job on the pottery!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't turn the dress into a top. I forgot to mention that I accidentally serged a hole near one of the ties. I might be able to make something of the skirt - maybe even a pair of underwear.

      Delete
  3. Oh My! Sorry That All Your Hard Work Didn't Turn Out The Way U Envision It. Happens To Me Every Once And Again. Although I Might Not Realize Or Call It Wadder Yet. But If IT Never See The Light Of Day Outside THe Closet Since Completing It, It Must Be A Wadder In My Case, Isn't It?
    P/s, The Pottery Work U Did Are Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Far! This one is definitely a wadder. I have so many other things tha I want to make, sticking with this would be wasting time. =)

      Delete
  4. Hi L, we all go through wadder patches - don't let it get you down, you are doing the right thing in moving on.

    I guess one of the lessons learnt is that bodies change over two years and it's a good idea to re do.

    Also, if your muslin is woven, and your dress is stretch, then things are going to work differently.

    Make notes about where you need to alter and keep them handy - enlarge arms, more area for botton etc etc. It's so easy to say, oh yes, I'll remember, but then one never does.

    I have found a lot of wrap dresses are quite low and need to be worn over little camisoles - the deep v works.

    The pottery is gorgeous - Sarah Liz never quite got the hang of clay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't let it get me down. =) Sometimes my sewjo takes a hit after I have a failed project, but I quickly moved on to the first garment of my 5-piece wardrobe. I need to cut out the lining and hope to have that finished in a couple of days.

      Delete
    2. Good, that's the way to tackle things :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry about the dress... :(
    Your pottery is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think the dress looks and you are certainly becoming the "pottery queen." I suspect you like pottery because it is very relaxing. TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. Throwing on the wheel is very relaxing. I find that when I make plates and bottles, I can zone out and stay focused on what I'm doing. The nice thing about clay is when something fails, you can just add water, re-wedge, and start over!

      Delete
  7. Nuff said about the dress. If I were you I would make a nice simple fail proof top, a Renfrew for example.

    But wow. Your pottery is gorgeous, I love the shape of your mugs and your choice of glazes is/are? beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm working on a skirt I made before, so hopefully there won't be any problems! Thank you for the pottery comment. =) These are all fired with cone 6 glazes and our studio is having good results with some of the glaze combinations. I'll post more photos when the next pieces come out.

      Delete
  8. It's discouraging to have wadders, isn't it? Do hope your next projects will turn out fine.
    The pottery looks great, I've done that a long time ago, given up on it completely, but still like to see it (thinking that I might get back to it some day...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, wadders can be quite discouraging! I'm going to focus on completing my mini wardrobe and move on to other things.

      I didn't know you did pottery, too. Did you hand-build or throw on the wheel?

      Delete
  9. Okay now don't get upset but I love the humor you added to this post. I was cracking up! Every now and then I'd look back up at your face between sentences and start cracking up again. That's the ONLY way to write a wadder post. I agree the fabric is very pretty! You got it going on in the pottery department don't you?! Very nice AND impressive! You go....I mean SEW Girl! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I am not upset at all! I'm glad you found some humor in my post. I wrote what I was thinking. =) Thanks for the comment on my pottery.

      Delete
  10. I made that pattern twice Lynn - the first one I gave away, the second is still hanging (never worn) in my closet because I want to salvage the fabric. I think that the thing that bothers me so much about the dress is that there is absolutely tooooo much fabric in the skirt of that pattern. So sorry you experienced un-satisfaction, but glad that you instantly bounced back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a review on PR where someone showed how to remove the skirt fullness. I was going to try it on version two had this one been successful. Now, I'm not so sure I want to work with the pattern anymore.

      Here's the review: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=84030

      Delete
  11. I honestly think this dress can be saved, even if you're not in the mood to save it.
    How about removing the sleeves, hemming it above knee length (to even it out since you said it's uneven now) and just rip out the edge where the bodice is sewn to the skirt (where there's extra pouf), and sew it down with whatever SA you need on the bodice to get rid of the extra fullness. That is what I did for my SBA on this dress...untraditional but it worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giiiirl, I'm not even thinking on that dress anymore. =) I've moved on to a skirt and jacket combo that should be completed soon. If I resume work on this dress, it's to save the skirt. The bodice is all messed up.

      Delete
  12. Sorry L, that it turned out to be a bummer!! Now don't come to Toronto to beat me up for this but I totally love that dress. (About the Toronto thing, is that still in the cards?)

    And girl, wow! your pottery stuff is AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If you saw the dress in person, you might start gagging. =) Visiting to TO is still in the mix. I admit to dragging my feet on planning. I'll come and find you on your blog.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...