08 July 2013

Great Advice

The people have spoken!  Thank you SO much for taking the time to share your opinions about the mixer dress.  Everyone made great points and I now have an idea of what I will do.

Scooped Neckline:  I won't try to copy the neckline on the inspiration dress.  The NL neckline would have to stay pretty high in order to make this successful and I just don't think that's a flattering look.  Butterick 5827 has a similar neckline, but the collar portion is too high. 



Even though a v-neck will be more flattering, the general consensus is to stick with the scooped neck and lower it a couple more inches. I did a quick photoshop of the neckline from Simplicity 2648 and the NL pattern and I don't think it looks as good as the rounded one.
 


Black and white/cream:  This is so happening!

Solid Back:  Melody made a good point about sitting in something and having it show with a white/cream back.  A solid black back leaves all of the interest in the front and will definitely be more slimming.

Double knit:  This last minute consideration seems to be the best and most popular suggestion.  I hadn't even thought of it until I looked at the details of the inspiration dress.  The pattern calls for an invisible zipper, though I don't like using them in knits. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Thank you all again for the advice!  Now comes the task of making this work!  

L

6 comments:

  1. I agree--solid black double knit with a cream front panel would be fabulous. Princess seams are slenderizing--all the vertical seaming gives a touch of couture/classy. The peplum adds a demure sexy twist to the LBD look. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be able to get the dress on without a ipper (there's no zip in B5559 which is form fitting but it's double knit and I am able to get it on over my head).
    Black/cream is such a great combo! I'm excited to see how your dress turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck - looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds fantastic! happy sewing!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good tip - solid black back! You may as well consider zipper sew in by hand - not visible but 'normal' one. It will be fabulous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this! Creativity is fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...