01 July 2013

McCall's 6078 (knit top): Complete

So far I've made this top four times and really like wearing each one.  It is so comfortable and easy to sew.  Earlier this year, I saw the exact same garment by Ralph Lauren at Macy*s They wanted $98.  I made mine for under $7 if you include fabric, thread, fusible web, and energy.  I can see many more versions in the future!

I sewed the pleats from the outside and toward the right.  This isn't what the directions say to do, but I think it looks nice and the drape of the cowl doesn't appear to be affected.

I finished the neckline, armholes, and hem using my coverstitch machine.  I applied Steam-a-Seam to each area, pressed, folded under, and stitched into place.  From start to finish, this top can take about an hour to construct.

The cowl drape is pretty scandalous, so you may want to adjust it first before cutting out.  Kyle from Vacuuming the Lawn wrote a great post on how to do this.

I wore it with a pair of Jalie jeans and new Kwik Sew jacket for a night out with a friend on Saturday.  Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures because it was cold and rainy, so an on-the-dressform shot will have to do for now.  Plus I have to find a way to take better pictures.  The lighting in my hallway doesn't produce very clear shots.  I have a tripod and can set it up outside, but I haven't had success with getting good shots that way either. 

This is the third of five garments in my mini wardrobe.  I was going to sew a sixth garment, but I will have to postpone that in favor of making a couple of garments for my upcoming 20-year high school reunion.  Until next time, peace!

L

18 comments:

  1. ah, so the cowl is one of those "how low can you go" patterns? It's really pretty and the back is such a surprise too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, this pattern will definitely keep you in "limbo"! You know I hadn't even realized the back until you pointed it out. That was totally an accident!

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love!!! Adding this pattern to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! You don't already have it?? Girl, what'cha waitin' on? =)

      Delete
  3. L, beautiful top!! I'm so interested in learning how you shortened the cowl and read Kyle's post. Brilliant idea ever!! Thanks for sharing the link.

    Btw, are you in TO around Aug 10th? There's a sewing bloggers meetup being planned at that time..

    http://fallingthroughyourclothes.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/looking-for-a-toronto-meet-up/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I messed up on my alteration, so I didn't use it on this version. The cowl is still scandalously low and I have to keep adjusting it to prevent my bra from showing.

      I'd like to contact you privately about TO.

      Delete
  4. Love the fabric you have used in this top! It is turning into a real go-to top for you, and I can see why...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! Indeed, this top is a great way to get a fashionable top with little effort.

      Delete
  5. Lovely - looks great in that fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! Lovely fabric and it works so well with the design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, the whole ensemble looks fantastic - so I am really please that the top worked for you. It's really a very smart top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SarahLiz. It's very comfortable to wear too.

      Delete
  8. Glad you liked the tutorial on raising the cowl. Today I wore that polka dot shirt that I made in my tute, and even with 4" removed from the cowl I still feel it is too low! So what I've done is taken a store bought cami, cut it off under the bust, and sewed lingerie elastic to the raw edge. Then I wear that demi-cami under the cowl shirt and feel totally comfortable without having 2 layers of fabric on my torso. You could do the same for this top! :) I felt totally comfortable and wasn't adjusting a thing during the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the fabric and the top looks very nice. When you have a pattern that works, you just want to continue to make it :) m.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful top. .. love the print. I agree that pattern is scandalous. I have made a few and wear a cami under it. Looking forward to your 20 year H.S. reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are moving right along with getting this wardrobe finished! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...