14 July 2013

NL 6124: Progress

Yep.  This is all I've sewn on this dress.  I'm stuck on what to do about the side seams and fitting.

The instructions have you sew the skirt side seams first and then attach the peplum (cut on the fold) at the waist.  Then the bodice is stitched to the lower half, and finally attached at the princess seams.  If I were certain that the dress would fit, then I'd forge ahead.  But since I made my muslin out of a woven and didn't make a second one out of knit, I don't know how the dress will now fit.  

I thought about cutting a new pair of peplums with a side seam so that I could construct the front and back of the dress completely and pin-fit the sides.  But then the peplum will no longer flare out at the sides.  I tried this in my muslin of Simplicity 1650 and I didn't like how it looked.

So that's where I am right now.  I don't know how much sewing I'll get done today. At around 10p EST yesterday, breaking news once again forced a reality check and I am numb.

On another, more positive note I want to thank the lovely and gracious Red Point Tailor for nominating me for the Super Sweet Blogging Award.   Thank you for thinking sweet of me and I will acknowledge the award formally in an upcoming post.

L

6 comments:

  1. I agree with Debbie, hand baste and check the fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow Deb's advice, as you want this peplum to fall beautifully in the end. I'd say the basting will be extra time, but well spent in the end...J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be lazy and try just pinning it together but basting it is probably easier and more accurate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are so right. In the back of my mind, I knew that basting is what I needed to do, I just didn't want to admit it! I started hand-basting, but I think I need to use my machine. I'll do a very large zigzag stitch and see how it looks tomorrow. Thanks so much for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I often have to baste, tedious, but the only way - you'll feel better once you are over that bit of tedium.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...