31 August 2013

Indygo Junction 740: Back Lining Photos

If I work really hard (i.e., work at all), I might be able to finish the coat this weekend.  Instead of bagging the lining, I will let it hang free.  I figured it would be pretty hard to try and pull such thick fabric and lining through a small opening in the side seam.   In the meantime, here are some photos of the lining.


I bought some seafoam green piping a few years ago simply because it was $0.25.  I had no idea what to do with it, but figured it might be useful some day.  When I saw that it was a close match to the green in the coat fabric, I decided to use it as a border between the lining and front/back facings.  

This is my second time working with piping, so I don't know if what I'm doing is correct; I'm just winging it as I go along. =)  I do know that I need to remove the piping from the shoulder seam allowance to reduce bulk.  What I don't know is if I should have inserted the piping all at once with the front facing or do it in stages as shown above.

Today, I hope to finish the front lining, insert the piping, and attach the facings.

I am thinking about redoing the collar.  It's pretty bulky right now and I think I may have some issues sewing through all of the layers once I attach the facing-lining unit.  I have enough fabric to cut the upper collar and can cut the undercollar out of lining.  I'll think on that a bit more.

Until next time, peace!

L
 

8 comments:

  1. So far, so Good L. Whenever I add piping as you are, I always add it while sewing the facing in place. But it's your jacket and you can do it however you want! TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I ended up adding the piping to each facing piece separately. It's probably not going to match at the shoulder seams, but no one will no from the outside.

      Delete
  2. piping is one of those things I have not ventured into so I comend you for doing it, looks great so far, nice color!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. I added piping on a skirt a couple of years ago and it wasn't too bad. Sewing slowly definitely helps.

      Delete
  3. You go Ms Courageous! I'm not a fan of piping. I'm always worried I may not handle it well. I look forward to seeing the finished product!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes fear creeps in and stalls me on many things. After a while, I just say f*ck it and do whatever I was afraid of. Actually, this is how I ended up sky flying which is similar to bungee jumping. Working with this piping produced far fewer swears. =)

      Delete
  4. L, Will you be okay with the piping pressing against you, as it will go inside the garment?

    There's a ncie piping tutorial on Youtube by my fav. Youtube-r.. You-tubist?. :) Colleen G Lea has some nice videos there. Check out the youtube channel - FashionSewingBlogTV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. You know I never thought about that. I suppose if the piping is an irritant, I'll have to deal with it because there is no way I'm picking all of this out. =)

      Thanks for sharing the info about Colleen G. I'll have to check out her videos.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...