20 August 2013

Indygo Junction 740: Sizing & Alterations

This pattern has been on my radar for years.  YEARS.  Shortly after I bought the pattern, I found the exact same fabric at Hancock Fabrics.  It's a medium to heavyweight upholstery fabric with a crinkled texture and very soft underside.  I bought enough for the shell and corresponding bands. I don't know what took me so long to try this, but the time has now come.  The whimsical couch coat is in the works!  



source:  http://www.indygojunction.com/shopping/sizing/
Bust
Based on my full bust measurement, I started with an XL.  I didn't use the HB measurement because I wanted to have extra room to wear over fall/early winter clothes.  I lowered the bust fullness 1" and added 5/8" in width at the bust line.  The muslin felt a little snug and since my fabric is thick, I figured I needed the extra room.  If I need any more room, I think taking smaller seam allowances will be enough.


Shoulders
Since I started with an XL, the shoulder seam is too long.  I will take larger seam allowances on the front and back princess seams, tapering back to 5/8 above the bust. 

Swayback
Since my fabric has a pretty sizable print, I decided not to add a center back seam to do the sway back adjustment.  Instead, I took out 3/4" of length from the center back and added this amount to the bottom.  This shortens the back-waist length to match mine but keeps the side back seam length the same.


Sleeves 
The bicep area of the sleeves was a little restrictive.  I added a 5/8" fish-eye wedge; hopefully this will be enough.  Again if I need the extra room, I can take smaller seam allowances.



Up next:  Creating the Lining Pieces

Until next time, peace!

L

5 comments:

  1. Love that print and perfect for the pattern. Thanks for sharing your alterations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be beautiful - good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVING that fabric. Eager to see it made up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool fabric! It will look fabulous when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric and would enjoy sewing this coat in the fabric. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...