02 September 2013

Almost Finished. Holla!

I am really close to finishing the coat and, honestly, I am glad.  Project fatigue is starting to set in and it's time to move on to something else.  All that's left to do is to tack down the facing, sew the hem, attach/do something with the belt, and attach the buttons.  

The pattern calls for elastic loops to secure the buttons.  I have no idea where to find this notion or how to make them.  I was thinking of getting some hair twisty things and using that. We'll see.

The buttons I intend to use will be about 1.5 inches and ceramic.  I made a set for this coat earlier this year, but the color isn't quite the same.  I made six more last week and need to have them bisque fired, glazed, and fired again.  That process will probably take a couple of weeks.

Anyway, here's where the coat stands now.  

 

The neck area was challenging to sew because of all of the thickness, but I managed.  I neglected to serge-finish the neckline, so I hope it doesn't ravel too much.  It will be a hot mess if it does and a royal pain in the ass to correct.

I am SOOOOOO glad I went with the Kasha lining.  The coat is very warm and feels divine.  The upholstery fabric is some sort of polyester on the outside and a super soft cotton/poly blend chenille on the inside.  Adding the lining did make the coat much heavier and much more snug.  But the trade off of extra warmth without feeling sticky or being shocked by static is totally worth it.


I L.O.V.E. the piping accent.  I think I will include piping between the facing and lining on every single jacket.  Seriously!  This little detail gives such a nice and professional look.

Oh and Tasia's (Sewaholic) tutorial on creating lining pieces?  FANTASTIC!  Everything went together smoothly.  I can't recommend this tute enough.

That's all for now.  I'll probably finish up the hem and facing today.  Photos of the finished coat and a full review will be posted soon.  Gotta get the buttons!

L




28 comments:

  1. Looking great!!!The piping does add a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawnta! I really like the piping, too.

      Delete
  2. The coat looks fabulous, love the piping detail and that lining color is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I am so glad I went with the Kasha lining. I bought it just for this coat and it was the right decision. The coat is soooo warm and comfortable.

      Delete
  3. great job! I haven't ventured into lining anything but plan on challenging myself to make something that requires lining, are you amking your own buttons? how neat is that!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on, Helen. You can do this! Start with a simple skirt with front and back. You'll be amazed at how simple it is to do!

      Delete
  4. WOW L! That coat is looking FAB! The piping is an AWESOME touch and that lining is DIVINE!! I can't wait to see it at the ASE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're coming to the ASE, I'll definitely bring it with me. =)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I've been following along and all your hard work is coming to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! This coat was definitely a lot of work, but it's paying off big time!

      Delete
  6. Your attention to detail on this jacket is brilliant! It looks absolutely stunning...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thanks Judith! Let's not look too closely at all that detail on the inside, though. LOL

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! That's one awesome coat! And YESSSS! That piping is absolutely fabulous! It looks 'very' high end RTW and I mean that as a compliment.

    You made your own buttons? :o

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. I think the hair tie twisty thing is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to hit up the local beauty supply shops. I'm sure I can find them - hopefully in brown!

      Delete
  9. OMG that is stunning and the lining is like liquid gold. So good that you didn't go the cheap lining. It really adds to the beauty of the coat. The piping sets it apart too. GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS. I have coat envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks BeaJay! I'm glad I didn't go with the cheap lining too. I'm sure I would have hated it and the coat would be sent to Area 51. =)

      Delete
  10. It really is nice - I'm glad it is working out for you. Like BeaJay, I love that lining - sometimes it pays to think about what to use. The buttons sound fantastic - fancy making your own. I think the hair elastics might work nicely - if not, there will be another way to work the closures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. It definitely pays to be patient. As for the buttons, I hope they turn out the way I envision. I have in my mind how the glaze should turn out. What actually happens is another thing. I might go to the good local fabric store and have the Button Wizard (better known as Lucky) find some buttons for me.

      Delete
  11. I just look in the dictionary under Gorgeous and say a picture of your coat! LOL. It's fabulous and I want to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow - gorgeous! fantastic job! i'm tearing through my patterns now, gotta have one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. I haven't seen this fabric since I bought it. I'm sure there are some comparable home dec fabrics around. Go for it! It's a cute coat and I am loving how it's turning out.

      Delete
  13. It's so awesome to see all your hard work on this coat pay off!  The inside of the coat, with the piping and lining are just gorgeous, as is the outside of course :).  I was cleaning off my computer desk top and ran across the "hair elastics for closures" tip in Threads 147, page 18.  I hope you get to enjoy your coat all winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much JuliN! I'm sure I have that issue and will check it out. I didn't end up adding elastic closures, but in case I want to do it on a future project, I know where to look.

      Delete
  14. All the time you put into this copy was worth it ten time over. Beautifullll!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...