22 September 2013

Tour de Troit 2013


The Tour de Troit is sort of like the Tour de France but without the hills, speed racers, insane long distance, and doping scandals.  For the 12th consecutive year, local organizations and business along with the Detroit Police Department joined together to sponsor a 30-mile ride through the city.  For the hard core riders, there was also a 70-mile route.  The most riding I've done in a single day was about 45 miles. 70 miles isn't happening - at least not until I get a much softer seat.
 

My friend, K., and I have been training for this ride for the last couple of weeks.  We rode the Detroit Slow Roll on Labour Day and a 17-mile ride in Flint a couple of weeks ago.

The tour started at Roosevelt Park in front of the tragically iconic Michigan Central Station. I'm old enough to remember the interior of the train station before it closed in the late 80s.  Soooo beautiful.  So classic.  So heartbreaking.

The tour took some 6000 bikers through southwest Detroit, back up Michigan Avenue, through Midtown, IndianVillage, around Belle Isle, through downtown, and back to Michigan Central.

  Some people just don't know when to stop riding.



I haven't ridden like this in a couple of years.  My last hard core ride was in 2011 during a trip to The Netherlands.  There, I rode for 30+ miles per day for a week...well six of seven days.  I had a terrible migraine that one day and decided to sit the ride out.  More info on that fantastic voyage can be found here.


In all I had a great time and look forward to riding this (or another) tour again next year.  Actually, I might do one more ride in a couple of weeks.  This would be a ride into Canada and then 20 miles around Detroit.  We'll see about that.  Right now, my body is all kinds of achy.  I don't think there's enough Tiger Balm and Epsom salt in the world to ease the pain I am feeling right now.  
As for sewing, I've not sewn a single stitch since finishing my coat.  I have grand plans to sew a few items for a fall 6PAC.  The fabric is ready and patterns are picked.  I just need to get started.
I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I'm off to try and stretch my achy muscles.  Oh and grade some papers.   Maybe.

L

10 comments:

  1. WTH. You were in Flint and didn't call me? I am all kinds of mad at you and hope every aches reminds you that you shoulda just picked up the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Groan, this is so energetic :) I'll stick to sewing! Glad you enjoyed yourself with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I miss bike riding and running. I hope one day I can get back into it. Glad you enjoyed yourself and let your muscles heal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow that's a lot of cycling! Do you have a massage therapist? S/he will make you feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll vicariously bike through you. ;)

    What a great bike ride, L!! You should be proud of yourself. Book yourself for a massage every 3 days for 2 weeks. At least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so impressive and wish I had the stamina to do it. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun!! I'd do with you if I were closer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need a Brooks saddle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...