03 October 2013

McCall's 6654 (skirt): Complete

McCall's 6654 with Simplicity 1945
This was supposed to be a quick project.  The pattern has two pieces, both cut on the fold, and a simple waist casing for elastic.  Easy right?  Noooooo.  Of course not.  I had to rip out the serger stitches for the casing twice.  I also had a hard time stitching the ends of the elastic together.  There was a thread nest big enough for a bird.  The truth is, it's still there holding everything together.  And you know what?  I am not picking out these stitches for a third time.  No one will know - except the folks reading this.  But no one else.

I blame Scandal and all you Scandal lovers for bringing me over to the dark side. 

Fabric & Notions
  • one yard of grey/black knit houndstooth
  • 3/4" no-roll elastic
  • serger, coverstitch machine, and thread

Sizing & Alterations
I started with a size 16 (I know, too big) and made my normal full seat adjustment by slashing and spreading the back 1.25".  I started with the larger size because I really didn't feel like making a muslin.  So I figured if it was too big, I could make it smaller and I did.  I ended up taking 1" out of the sides so that I could get the fit I wanted.  Next time, I'll cut between a 12 and 14.

Construction
I serged the sides and "attached" the casing.  I didn't understand the instructions for this part and just did what I thought made sense.  I don't know if the casing is supposed to be on the inside or not, but mine looks like a narrow waistband.  It works and I'm not changing it!  As for the elastic, I cut it to my waist measurement and then adjusted the length after it was inserted into the casing. 

Here the skirt is paired with Simplicity 2422 (left) and Jalie 2559 (right).



This skirt is part of my fall 6PAC plan - which has sort of morphed into a full 12PAC with pretzels.  I don't think I want to sew these colors for long, so I'll do some editing and add in some other colors.  In fact, I think I might try to do an Endless Combinations type of plan.

Do you remember the Endless Combinations contest on PR?  This was one of my favorite contests since it opened the door to building a wardrobe of coordinating outfits.  The idea is to make a garment (or use a previously made garment) and make a second to wear with it.  Then make a third garment to match with either the first and/or second.  And so forth.  Before you know it, you've got a whole wardrobe collection or a capsule of coordinated pairs.  

I don't know why this contest hasn't run in a while.  I think the idea is kinda neat.  Would anyone be interested in doing an EC sew along?  We can space out the time to cover a few months and, perhaps, continue the spirit of the wonderfully inspiring Style the Stash sew along started by Sarah Liz.  We can step into the depths of scary sewing (I'm talking to you collar stand and welt pockets) and join BeaJay in some fearlessness.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Anyone interested?

L



21 comments:

  1. I like it! :) That Simplicity jacket is really cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I made this a couple of years ago, but never blogged about it. Two years later and it still doesn't have buttons. SMH!

      Delete
  2. 1. Great skirt!
    2. I'm interested in a sew-along. I loved that contest theme, too!
    3. I *loved* seeing you this weekend! Let's get that lunch on the calendar soon, ok???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! I don't know why PR stopped running the contest; it was pretty popular and a good idea.

      I loved seeing you as well! Yes, we've been getting lunch for a year now. =) I'll contact you privately.

      Delete
  3. Cute skirt,L!! I love how well it has integrated into your work wardrobe. Knits and houndstooth have never featured together in my vocabulary until now and the ideas are rolling.. Where'd did you find your knit houndstooth?

    I liked that concept of sewing endless combinations. No idea why it didn't take off. I am interested but mine will be more simpler garments though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay. =) I got my knit at Hancock Fabrics in Toledo, OH this past January. I don't know if they have any more left and I'm kinda bummed that I only got one yard.

      The EC concept is such a great idea. I don't know why it didn't take off either. That's the good thing about being part of a blogging community: we can do what we want, when we want!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks KMQ! I'm working on the polka-dot top now. I might even be able to finish it today.

      Delete
  5. from where I sit the skirt looks great! it seems like the simpler the pattern the harder it is to put together, go figure lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. Isn't that weird? =) My Indygo Junction coat went together rather smoothly and it had many parts, piping, and a lining. This three-piece skirt with NO closures or lining saw the seam REAPER more times than the coat! Unreal.

      Delete
  6. Great skirt! And love the EC idea ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J. I'd love to see what you create!

      Delete
  7. Your perseverance paid off!....like always. The style and color are a perfect fit. This cute little top is sure to go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T! I love the Simplicity top. I made two of them earlier this year (or late last year - I don't remember) and love wearing it. It's comfortable and gives the illusion of an infinity scarf without actually having to wear a scarf. =)

      Delete
  8. I am a fan of sewing the EC way. It keeps me from having orphans in my wardrobe. I suck at blogging but I would join a sewalong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Towanda! I am trying to not have single items in my wardrobe and the EC way works for me. Don't worry about blogging. If you are able to just post photos, that would be great!

      Delete
  9. Lovely skirt - I particularly like it with the shorter sleeved jacket. And yes - count me in with EC. I'm 'kinda' doing this with my Singer Perfect Plus, and I'm always good for a sewalong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the look with the shorter-sleeved jacket as well. I just threw the Jalie jacket on there to see how it looks. Actually, both jackets need to be finished. SMH. The Simplicity jacket needs buttons and the Jalie jacket needs a button and to be topstitched. Shame!

      I'm always good for a sew along too and am glad to know that you'll join.

      Delete
  10. I love the sound of this - but every time I commit to something I fail (even my own hosted comps eg Scary September). Love to sew along though

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in. As you say, it goes with the Make a Garment a Month and Style the Stash Sew A Long. I need to try and focus on using stash, patterns and sewing effectively as well :)

    Some sewing goes like your top - you are all psyched up into an easy sew, and then bam - sometimes I think the difficult, structured pieces are easier to sew :) Anyway, it looks good, the colour really sings, and as you say - know one but us knows - and I promise I won't say a word to anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The skirt fabric is really great. I love the texture!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...