27 October 2013

Moto Jacket & Mystery Project

Thanks everyone for commenting on my zipper question.  Some preferred brass with lighter tape, others said black with brass will give make the jacket pop, while others said the silver will blend nicely.  These are all excellent points - which leave me no closer to a decision! 

These three comments pretty much tied the whole thing together:

Christiana writes:  "I like the dark tape as well. I'd take it a step further and go with a gold topstitching to pull it all together." 

SarahLiz writes:  "I think Judith is right - are you going for a dark and dramatic look, or a more blended, subtle, look. Also, what do you have to wear it with? That might help decide the choice too."

AnnaChristina writes:  "I like the light zipper with brass teeth, but I think silver would also be sharp. I think the fabric could be dressed up or down with the more subtle look."

I hadn't even thought about topstitching or how this jacket was to be worn and coordinated with the other garments I have.  Duh!  I was so fixated on the zipper color that I completely neglected the basic function of the garment.

So with everyone's comment in mind, I gave the jacket a second look.  I selected a few colors for topstitching and placed the garment next to another top that's currently in progress. The more I looked at everything, the less I liked the brass teeth.  The grey fabric has a washed effect and I couldn't be settled with the pop of gold.  Of the three colors I used for topstitching ( dark grey, light grey, and black), he one that stood out the most was the one that could be seen the least:  dark grey.  So I have decided to go with....drumroll...silver teeth!  I like the idea of being able to dress the jacket up or down and think starting with a more subtle look is better.

I haven't started sewing the jacket because the first thing to do is to put in the separating zipper - something I do not have, yet.  I can cut and fuse the interfacing, but until I get the zippers, there's not much else I can do.  In the meantime, I started another project using this fabric:


This print is wild and SO not me!  I was nervous about buying it because it's not something I would normally wear.  I'm going to keep the details under wraps until I finish it. Unfortunately, this project is stalled as well because I don't have a notion that I need to proceed.  I'll order it when I order the zippers.  Until then, you're free to make a guess!  Hey Kyle!  Shhhh...don't tell anyone. =)

L

 

18 comments:

  1. I'm think about possibly making a moto style jacket myself. What pattern are you considering Lynne???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using Kwik Sew 3764. It appears to have good reviews, so hopefully it works out

      Delete
  2. And yes, I like the idea of silver zipper on the jacket!!! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of silver zippers too. I gave it a lot of thought and stared at my samples for a couple of days. I think wilver will work best with this particular denim.

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain on waiting for notions to be able to move forward! I've got closures from Etsy coming this week, so until then, I'm stalled on a jacket in progress. As for the mystery... I have no clue, but I love the fabric! Psst, Kyle! Spill the beans! I'll go get you something pretty at Haberman's!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwah ha ha! Your offer is super super tempting, Kristine, but Lynn's secret is safe with me!!!

      Delete
    2. OOooo...sneaky! Shoot. Can I get in on this offer too?? =)

      Delete
  4. Ohhhh - I LOVE that fabric. Very nice - looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. Me too! The more I look at it, the more I think I'm nuts. =)

      Delete
  5. Very cool fabric Lynne, I can't wait to see what becomes of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's either going to be fabulous or a mess. Or a fabulous mess!

      Delete
  6. Regarding the zipper jacket - sometimes it is best to wait and not compromise - hard, I know, but easier than making something and then not wearing it :). I think it will look fantastic with the silver zips.

    The fabric is on the wild side, but it is also very interesting and has an abstract look about it, so I think whatever you are making will look great :- )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. It's worth taking time to decide rather than rush and make something that I won't wear.

      As for the mystery project, I hope this looks like how I envision it in my head. I can see the whole outfit, but I might be dreaming too much.

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see the finished jacket. I am sure it will be awesome. As for the mystery fabric -- wrap dress?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not find a way to email you so I just wanted to tell you that I, too, thought the "Left Behind" book was fabulous. I believe I read two either by or about her and was amazed at her courage in the face of such horror.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again with a movie recommendation. I forget the exact name but it is about this remarkable woman:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephine_Bakhita

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...