15 October 2013

Sewing Confessions

Rules?  What rules?  I don't need no stinkin' rules.  Here are my confessions.  Don't tell anyone, k?

1.  I almost never measure my hems.  

The horror!  I read about how people use chalked string to mark their hems or use other techniques.  Yeah, I don't do that.  Since I make a muslin for everything, I figure out the hem I want at that point and then go from there.  When I'm at .e iron pressing up the hem, I just eyeball it and check the depth only a few times.

2.  I am inconsistent with snipping threads. 

I try to snip them at the end of each seam, but that doesn't always happen.  If it can't be seen from the outside, I don't worry about it.

3.  I don't always remove ease/basting stitches.

See #2. =)  The only exception is when I insert an invisible zipper.  Most times I use contrasting thread so that I can visibly see the guideline.  I usually remove this after the zipper is in - if it can't be seen from the outside.

4.  I regularly practice the LSO (Lop Shit Off) method.

If something is too long or not working out in one spot, I just lop it off and fuhgeddaboutit. 

5.  I totally eyeball the stitching line when I coverstitch a hem.

Oddly enough, this works for me.  I tried using Post-It notes as a guideline, but for some reason the hem always came out uneven.  I've had far more success "feeling for the hem" on top and slowly guiding this area under the foot.  

Come on, fess up!  I can't be the only sinful sewer.

L

22 comments:

  1. Your post was very funny. There are a lot of things I don't do that many other sewists incorporate into their sewing. I will have to save my list for my own post as the list is longer than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to read your list. These are the first few things that came to mind over the last couple of days. I'm sure I break more rules. =)

      Delete
  2. You're my she-ro! LOL! :)

    I NEVER remove basting stitches. Pfft. Who has time for that noise?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? If I can't see it from the outside, it stays put. =)

      Delete
  3. My confession. I have never made a muslin. There Ive said it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. I am the muslin queen. I never make wearable muslins, though.

      Delete
  4. What?? The horror of it all. I like to use the "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it method!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could pretty much copy and paste your confessions as they are all true for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be in good company. =)

      Delete
  6. 1. I hate muslins too. I lose momentum when I make one. I call my first effort a wearable muslin. If it works, I wear it and move on. If it didn't work, I pitch it and move on to a new project. 2. I hate handstitching. 3. If it can be made without darts, zippers, buttons, or lining, it's probably on my list. 4. In reference to #3, I'm changing my sewing view from fast and easy knits to 'tailored' naturals. I'm falling in love with natural fabrics and more professionally sewn clothing. However, shortcuts are still my sewing friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great list! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  7. Hmmmmm, we can go on and on about the rules I break but we are talking about yours rignt now. I am laughing sooooo hard at the LSO method. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you, LSO works! I did it yesterday, though the garment is still a wadder. More on that soon.

      Delete
  8. no muslins here & it really told on me with the mini dress incident lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Yeah, I muslin everything. I'm too much of a wimp to cut into my good stuff without making a muslin first. I'm getting less wimpy, though.

      Delete
  9. Lol about the LSO method.

    The last time I made a knit dress, I didn't hem it. Just used fusible tape and called it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fusible tape is the best isn't it? I use it on all of my knit hems, necklines, and armholes. Man, if I could fuse the whole dress... =)

      Delete
  10. I cast my vote for the wearable muslin. My wardrobe is full of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're good! I tried to do wearable muslins, but I couldn't focus on the fit. I was too concerned about finishing the garment.

      Delete
  11. Loved your confessions. I belong to the LSO school too. I mostly trim threads but regularly leave basting threads in if they can't be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a classic! #4 just made my day ... J

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...