16 November 2013

Mystery Project: Complete

Alright peeps.  The big reveal is a few words away.  Either this garment is fantastic or fug.  Hmm...fantastically fug?

I bought the fabric from Vogue Fabric during their visit to this year's American Sewing Expo.  Fabric can be mesmerizing sometimes.  I passed on this print the first time thinking it was hideous.  But something kept drawing me back to it, so I caved and bought 2.5 yards.  It is unlike anything I have in my wardrobe and not a print I would normally wear - especially not like this...




Tada!  Yep.  I made another pair of jeans out of this cRaZy fabric.  

Sewing the jeans actually took about 5 hours at the most.  The hardest part was trying to line up the pattern pieces to keep print semi-symmetric.  One circle sits a bit higher on one leg, but you can't really tell.  Well, actually you can, but whatever. =)

I tried really hard to maintain a vertical line down the outside seam.  The end result isn't what I envisioned, but it's not bad either.  I'm happy with it.  There was just no way to keep it consistent with all the curvature in the side pattern piece.


I cut out two sets of pockets - one with circles and one without.  I thought long and hard about putting the circles on my butt.  In the end (hah!) I decided against it - I'm too old for all of that "attention."

In the pictures, I'm wearing the jeans with Kwik Sew 3558 (jacket) and McCall's 6078 (cowl-neck top).  I'm thinking of making a cardigan or pullover out of a bright yellow ponte knit to wear with them.  

The verdict:  I LOVE these jeans.  I really do.  I am a little nervous about wearing them outside, though.  I think they look like pajama pants. I'm sure I'll get over that eventually. In fact, I might wear this whole outfit skating tonight.  I'll let you know how that goes!

L

39 comments:

  1. i LOVE them!!! i hope you wear them out tonight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah. The jeans are Oona-approved. Score!

      Delete
  2. Nice jeans, and rock them proudly. I'm getting a 70s vibe from them ( and I mean that in a GOOD way). I'm getting and idea of a crazy print I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the print does give off a hippie vibe. I'm liking it more and more. I'd love to see how you work your crazy print. Maybe we should have a crazy print sew along!

      Delete
  3. They are beautifully made L! I love the fact that you took a chance, I'm doing the same thing on a project and am apprehensive. You just motivated me to finish.

    And I agree that they will look amazing with something bright on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news! Your sewing has really taken off and I like looking at what you make. Finish that project, girly!

      Delete
  4. I love them, I would never have looked at that fabric and thought jeans.Great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't think jeans either at first. While sewing them, I thought about the many pairs of crazy jeans Kenneth D. King has made. I think he would approve. =)

      Delete
  5. It's worth it to have what you like and different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy! They are definitely different!

      Delete
  6. Ooh la la - beautiful and very on trend. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! Although I don't follow fashion trends much (i.e., at all), I did wonder if printed jeans were still 'in'. In or out, I'm wearing these anyway!

      Delete
  7. Very cute! Love the whole outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I'm digging it too!

      Delete
  8. Wow! I would not have thought pants when seeing this fabric. Dang--they really look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww shucks. Thanks Linda! I'm pretty pleased with the final look.

      Delete
  9. I love the print and they look great on you! How long did it take you to get your jeans to fit so nice? I'm on my second try and hoping to figure out my fitting problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry!

      I first attempted making jeans in 2010 as part of Jennifer Sterns' jeans class on PR. I made five muslins, but was extremely disappointed because the fit was HORRIBLE. I got tired of doing the muslins and just decided to go for it - fit be damned! I put the project aside for a few weeks and started over from scratch.

      I cut the size according to my full hip measurement (can't remember what that is and it's not marked on my pattern pieces); added a 0.5-inch wedge at the CB, tapering to nothing at the side seam; added a 0.5-inch wedge at the CF, again tapering to nothing at the side seam; and added an extra 5/8" to the side seams for fit insurance. I ended up not needing the extra width on the sides. The fit could still be improved, but not enough for me to re-work the whole pattern again. I definitely see that I need a full inner thigh adjustment, but I'm not going to bother with it now.

      What fitting problems do you have?

      Delete
  10. These jeans are really fantastic - really fun print, adds definition to your bottom half, and the tailored jacket makes them look really smart. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! You served as part of the inspiration for these jeans. When I first saw the fabric, I didn't think of jeans. But then I remembered the pants you made this summer out of a blue and white pattern and thought about how cute those looked.

      Delete
  11. Love, love, love the fabric. And you are rockin' those jeans. Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowzer.. you did an awesome job and they fit you to a tee. Great job. Thanks for checking in on me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These jeans look fantastic! I hope you wore them out last night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are awesome! I love how you've used the print!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so fun to wear. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute! Great use of the print!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That fabric is everything!! Great jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these! I wore print jeans the first time around, but have been avoiding them this time. You managed to take the trend and not look like an 80's throwback.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...