30 December 2013

2013 Sewing Year in Review: Part 1 (Misses)

Wadders ranked supreme in 2013.  So much so, I thought a completely separate year-in-review post was in order.  The number of wadders I had this year made me question my skill at sewing and fitting.  Some of the misses were due to poor fabric choice, but still.  How much fail can a girl take? 

McCall's 5523 & BWOF 9-2009-137 (skirts) 


Ugh!  The fabric, a very nice rayon-poly-lycra woven suiting, contributed to the demise of these two skirts.  I could have set both of these skirts on the sun and the wrinkles would not be moved.  You win my wrinkly friend.

Vogue 8426 (skirt)

This skirt wouldn't be so bad were it not for the insane stiffness of the denim.  It fits well and I love the topstitching.  However, when I wear it, the back sticks out like a little tent and I'm pretty sure "tent butt" is not on trend.

Jalie 2805 (top)

This was my biggest disappointment because I really wanted a knit top in this color.  This wadder was definitely due to poor fabric choice.  Ponte knit simply doesn't provide enough stretch needed for this pattern.  

Vogue 8379 (wrapped dress)

I think I am the only sewer to have ever failed with this pattern.  The look on my face says it all.  I really want a wrapped dress, but either I have to start from scratch with this pattern or try a different one. 

Jalie 2680 (coat) 


I don't know what happened with this one.  I made a muslin, tweaked the fit, and was happy about it.  When I tried on the nearly-finished garment, it looked horrible.  It was too small in the front, pulled at the front and back armholes, and overall didn't look good.  Meh.  At least I used four yards of stash!
Burda World Of Fashion 11-2005-108 (skirt)




I don't even know what went wrong with this skirt.  It looks great on the dress form and that's it.  The fabric is a wool-acrylic boucle with a bit of crosswise stretch.  It's too big in the waist and yet snug in the hip.  How is this even possible?

Simplicity 2804 (knit top)



Again with the fabric. I feel like I should have my heart rhythms checked or something.  Eww.  Not wearing this.

Vogue 8805 (knit dress) - honorable mention?


I found this one in the donation pile.  I don't remember if this is a wadder from this year or last year.  I like the colors, but this shapeless sack is for someone else.  

********

In addition to wadders, I attempted several garments but have yet to decide on how to proceed with fit.  Most were woven button-front blouses and a couple were pants. 

In all, 2013 had its fair share of failures and mehs.  On the positive side, each wadder was a great learning experience and thus is an essential part of becoming a better sewer.

Author and political commentator Donna Brazile says this about failure:


""Failure" is just what happens when we lose perspective."

Up next:  One more review and  2013 Sewing Year in Review:  Part 2 (Hits)

Until next time, peace!

L





17 comments:

  1. I remember coming across that yellow boucle skirt and loving it! Aww too bad it didn't turn.

    "I feel like I should have my heart rhythms checked " hahahahaha!!!!! oooh, I hear you on the Vogue dress. The colors are fabulous but yes, shapeless isn't it when you have curves. No fun at all.

    Also, send me an email to sewcraftychemist -at- gmail -dot- com so I can send the fabric. I'll be all proud of myself for reducing my stash! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that skirt is terrible. Thanks for the fabric! I will email you.

      Delete
  2. I've had a couple of late year failures that actually sort of brought me to a sewing standstill - no fun at all. I hate when that happens. Fabric choice was the demise of one of them, the other misjudgement of size-both real downers. I guess it's just part of the game we play. Happy New Year sewing L!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when wadders affect the sewjo too. Even though they can be downers, we learn something from them. Happy new year to you as well!

      Delete
  3. Wadders happen. I have 2 sitting on my table mocking and judging me. I have decided as a NY resolution to give more consideration to the fabric suggestions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, don't let them fools mock you! If they aren't working out, get rid of them. I used to feel bad about throwing partially finished clothes in the trash. Having them hang around was causing more stress and I have enough of that already. Shooot...I got no qualms about it now!

      Delete
  4. Hi L, as you say, lots of learning experiences here - I guess that's why I had a year of muslins. but fabric choice is so essential. Not sure why the boucle failed - it's a pity though. Can't wait to see your winners. Happy New Year with Minimal Wadders for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boucle was really stretchy and not appropriate for this pattern, in my opinion. I will make this skirt again, but in a lightweight suiting.

      Happy new year to you as well! I hope we both have minimal wadders in 2014. =)

      Delete
  5. I do understand about failures. My fur coat has been given away. I like Donna Brazil's quote. It gives opportunity to try it again while keeping prospective. Yes, since we enjoy sewing, we just keep it moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like her quote, too, and reflect on it often. You're right, we've got to keep it moving.

      Delete
  6. Lets put all our 'fails' behind us into the old year, and focus on the successes that are coming our way very soon,in 2014 ... sadly, I just cut out your skirt fail (McCalls 5523) in denim this afternoon. Maybe I will leave it back in 2013 as well ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you had success with M5523, so I'm sure yours will be just fine. =) I made this pattern before in a wool flannel and love it. I'll surely make it again, but in a much more suitable fabric. Happy new year!

      Delete
  7. I'm right thee with you lol! I'm going to try to salvage some of my poo poo's lol! & I really wnat to find a a good serger, one that doesn't take brains to thread lol! I think a serger will encourage me to sew more this year, a friend has been doing my searging for me but I'd like to learn that myself
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a serger definitely improved my sewing. I had to retire one of my first skirts because it's falling apart from not having properly finished seams. It was Simplicity 5914 and I made it denim. Because I didn't know about serging when I first started sewing, I just zigzagged the edges. Yeah, that doesn't hold up well after many wearings and washings - at least not in denim. Happy new year!

      Delete
  8. You might be able to soften the cute denim skirt with Coke. There's a thread about it here:

    http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,14726.0.html

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's a good idea. I forgot all about that. Sadly this skirt is out of commission. I'll try this on some other stiff fabric I have.

      Delete
  9. I've seen other curvy sewists be equally unhappy with that Vogue colorblocked dress, which is a shame because it looks so cute on a lot of people. My mom donated a similar RTW dress to me, and it has the same shapelss issue. I keep trying to convince myself that I can style it properly to make it wearable, but I just don't think that's in the cards for that stule.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...