28 December 2013

Kwik Sew 3667 (sweatshirt): Complete

I never sew clothes for other people.  Ever.  

I've had people ask me to make them jeans, skirts, etc.  Upon seeing my Indygo Junction coat, a friend at the rink asked me to make him a pea coat.  Um.  No.  This semester, one of my students asked me to teach her to sew.  No problem.  Then she asked me to make her a skirt so that she could watch me and learn the process.  Problem.  I can make me a skirt, but I won't do the work for you.  Later on, she said I was stingy.    o_O

But.  There's always a 'but', right?  I offered to make a very dear friend a sweatshirt.  She's like a second mom to me and I love her to pieces.  It was a pleasure and an honor to make something for her.


Fabric & Notions
  • 2 yards of grey cotton-poly sweatshirt fleece
  • scraps of fusible interfacing for the front pocket facings
  • regular sewing machine, serger, and thread
I made this top three times back in 2011 for a biking trip in The Netherlands.  So I had plenty of experience with its construction.  Since my second mom is really, really tiny, and this top has lots of ease, I sewed a size small.  I was confident that the bodice would fit, but I wasn't so sure about the lower band.  This fleece doesn't have as much crosswise stretch and the band felt a bit restrictive.  
The only change I made involved adding two inches to the sleeve.  I found the sleeves as designed to be too short and allowed too much air in.  Given that both my friend and I are always cold, I knew she would appreciate having the extra length.
My friend tried it on and said that the top fits perfectly.  She absolutely loves it and is very pleased.  I am really happy that she likes it.  I haven't seen it on her and hope to do so before she returns to the east coast.  If she doesn't mind my posting her picture on my blog, I'll share a photo or two in a later post.
Conclusion
Kwik Sew also has a couple of companion versions of this top:  3879 has set-in sleeves and 3892 has raglan sleeves.  I've not tried either one of these patterns, though I do have 3879. 
I will certainly make this top again.   It is really a quick and easy to make.  There are five pieces total and the majority of the construction can be done on a serger.

Up next:  a review of BWOF 1-2009-106.  Gotta get pictures!

L



15 comments:

  1. Watch you so she can learn the process? That's called buying a Craftsy class. :)
    Great looking sweatshirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. .. she is going love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves it! She called me twice to thank me for it. I am so happy she likes it.

      Delete
  3. I love it - the power of no - some people just find that difficult :). Which is all the more reason to keep saying it. NO!!

    But the sweatshirt is a different matter - a gift from the heart from one friend to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I don't have a problem with saying 'no'. =) People who don't sew don't realize how much time and work goes into making a garment. When someone asks me to make something for them, I reply with, "You can't afford me." LOL

      My friend has been so kind and supportive, I didn't have to think twice about making something for her. It was my idea!

      Delete
  4. I like kwik sew but I refuse to pay full price for patterns and they rarely go on sale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KS patterns go on sale sometimes at BMV and JoAnn's. I bought the majority of my patterns during a going-out-of-business sale at Hancock Fabrics.

      Delete
  5. I understand sewing from the heart. It's much easier to sew for someone else when you just do it because you want to do it - not because they asked. Nice sweat shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree more. There was no pressure or anything.

      Delete
  6. Very nice and will keep you warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this pattern. It's quick to make and definitely keeps me warm!

      Delete
  7. A dear friend is always the exception to the rule ... that's why they are a dear friend ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! My friend is such a great spirit, too. We're family!

      Delete
  8. Love, love, love. I could definitely use a few of these in my wardrobe. I know your friend is well pleased! Wishing you and your family, good health and prosperity in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...