22 December 2013

Quick Home Dec Project: Cloth Napkins

I don't use paper towels or paper napkins in my house.  Instead, I use of cloth napkins made from quilter's cotton.  I made a set of eight five or six years ago and use them regularly.  Unfortunately, I only have seven now because I think I accidentally threw one away and the remaining ones are starting to show their age.


I've had the these two prints in my stash for at least three or four years - maybe even longer. 
I bought them with the intention of making napkins and even cut them out to size.  Why it has taken me this long to finish the edges is a mystery.  Anyway, they're done and I'm quite pleased!

Fabric & Notions
  • 2 yards of 100% cotton (1 for each print)
  • serger and thread
Construction
The napkins are ridiculously easy to make.  Cut 18" squares and use a rolled hem to finish the edges.  Done!  One yard of 44"-wide fabric yields four napkins.



For the colorful print, I used a rainbow-colored variegated cotton thread.  I love how it looks on the edges.  For the dog print, I used some cream-colored serger thread.


This is a quick and easy project that can add spunk and a pop of color (or crazy) to any place setting.  Give it a try!

L

5 comments:

  1. Cloth napkins are the best! I use them all the time, and they are a great way to use up fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee for accidentally throwing away one. I think that's what happened to one of my steak knives....
    My serger is a second hand one and it doesn't have the rolled hem plate....maybe I should troll ebay for it...that variegated one is pretty awesome.
    "Just dog it". Alrighty then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so love cloth napkins, but whenever I set the table with them my guests don't want to soil them so they ask for paper ones. I have a hard times getting them to change. Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really fun napkins - we use cloth as well, and making them in fun prints seems like a great idea :)

    Have a wonderful Xmas L :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute L! And 1 yard makes a "set". Hmmm. Another easy but sweet and functional gift idea - thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...