03 January 2014

2013 Sewing Year in Review: Part 2 (Hits)

It's that time of year to recount the sewing hits and misses of 2013.  This year, I don't feel as if I sewed as much as in the past.  As detailed in part 1 of the Year in Review, I've had a lot of wadders and made many muslins.  Despite the fails, I have some garments that I absolutely love to wear. 

The Stats

 

Kwik Sew

Simplicity

Jalie

BWOF

McCall’s

Indygo Junction

New Look

Total

top

2

4

0

0

2

0

0

8

topper

0

2

0

0

1

0

0

3

dress

0

1

0

1

0

0

0

2

skirt

0

0

0

1

1

0

1

3

jeans

0

0

2

1

0

0

0

3

jacket

2

0

1

0

0

0

0

3

coat

0

0

0

0

0

1

0

1

Total

4

7

3

3

4

1

1

23

 

Favorites

1.  Indygo Junction 740
From the lining to the pop of sea-foam green piping in between the facing and lining - this coat is by far my favorite.  I worked out the fit and tackled the poorly-drafted collar.  I've gotten so many compliments and I am extremely happy with my coat.

2.  Kwik Sew 3558
I jumped on the peplum bandwagon with this jacket.  I've worn it with so many different outfits and will definitely make it again.

3.  Jalie 2908
This will always be a sewing favorite for me.  Jeans are what I make when I need to restart my sewjo.  To date, I've made 10 pairs and have no intention of stopping.

4.  Simplicity 2365
I really like wearing this top.  It's very comfortable to wear and it fits!  I love the pintucks and bias-bound neckline.  One day collar stands...one day...


2013 Sewing Intention Results
  • Shop more of the stash:  I definitely did this.  Committing to the Stashbusting Challenge was a good motivator.  
  • Make a full-length winter coat:  I didn't do this, but I bought the material for the coat and traced the intended pattern.  Next I need to make pattern adjustments and a muslin or two.
  • SWAP on Stitcher's Guild:  Didn't even come close.  I'm all swap'd out anyway.
  • Make a bra:  Nerp.  Ended up buying three bras since the bra situation was beyond critical.
  • Sew all of my clothes for one year:  This wasn't too hard to accomplish.

Stashbusting Challenge
In January, I made a pledge to use at least 12 pieces of stash fabric and 10 patterns.  I used 24 pieces of stash totaling 46 yards and 8 patterns.  Woo hoo!  I definitely plan to make another pledge for 2014 as I found this very inspiring and I have a lot of fabric.

2014 Sewing Intentions
  • Continue to shop the stash:  The fabric is there...well...everywhere really.
  • Work on the full-length winter coat:  I really want this coat and am excited about making it happen.  I've traced the pattern (BWOF) and need to make the muslin.
  • Make a trench coat:  I have a RTW trench coat, but it's black.  I want one in a bright color or a crazy metallic.
  • Go fabric light:  I am still way down on the fabric-buying scale, but I think I bought more this year than in 2012.  I have to get this back under control!
  • Sew a woven button-front blouse:  This has been a goal for a LONG time.  I'd like to resume work on it again next year.
  • Just sew.
I want to thank everyone who stops by to visit and read my blog.  I am very grateful to be a part of a wonderful and supportive sewing community.  I hope to continue our fellowship by sharing our adventures (both good and not so good) in sewing.

May your new year be filled with happiness, good health, laughter, and lots of sewing.
L

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Of the clothes that I completed successfully, I really like them!

      Delete
  2. Wow! It looks like you've really got the hang of sewing the kind of thing you want to wear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that is the best part of sewing. Once a garment is altered to fit, it is SO nice to just be able to sew it up at any time.

      Delete
  3. You have had a great year in outcome of beautiful outfits. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice recap. That is great about sewing all your own clothes in 2013! I'm impressed! I'm also impressed by your chart. :)
    Regarding the shirt, I keep meaning to say, have you seen Jennifer Stern's button down shirt pattern? She released it in the spring of 2013. It might be a good match for you! It's by the cup size and goes up to DD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I googled information on how to create a chart in Blogger because the one I had was pitiful. =) It's quite easy to do. Create the chart in Word, save it as a web page, open the page in Notepad, copy and paste the code into Blogger's HTML view. The only thing that's annoying about this is you have to keep the view in HTML (not Compose) or all the formatting for the table disappears. I don't know why this happens. I haven't taken the time to study it more carefully.

      I didn't know that J. Stern had a button-down shirt pattern. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. You made a lot! And some really great items as well.
    I laughed reading that you make jeans to get your sewing mojo back, for me that is bra's, and you never got round to making those, whilst I don't get round to sewing jeans....

    Wishing you a fantastic 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. Isn't that funny. =)

      I keep saying that I will make a bra, but I never do it. I have all the material; I bought it on our trip to Kantje Boord in 2011! One day... =)

      Delete
  6. It looks to me as though you had a great year! I love all the stashbusting ideas - I've finally got my fabric and patterns in order, and it feels as though I am visiting a small, but perfectly stocked shop when I take a look around. It stocks all my favorite fabric and patterns!

    Here's to a great 2014 - full of lots of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think! Our stash is like a small shop stocked with everything we need - and then some. =)

      Happy 2014 to you as well!

      Delete
  7. What a year, filled with great sewing!! You did GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...