05 March 2014

Let's Get Our Sew On

Sweet.  I'm glad to see a few folks willing to jump into the "trenches" with me.  I'll set up a separate blog in a couple of days and send out an invite to join.

BeccaA writes:  "I have just been mulling over some trench patterns. I just made my daughter a Robson trench and would like to make myself another trench. Burda has several patterns that look interesting and I am also considering making a Robson for myself. I think I want to do some tailoring innards for this coat--hair canvas? pad stitching?--and this has been my hold up in deciding what to do next. It would be great to have some company on this project."

I agree 100%.  I'd love to have some company in the construction of this coat and that's why I'm glad many are interested in sewing along.

Niema writes:    "Darn it! I think if I make another trench coat my husband will take my sewing machine away. But I do have some coral and yellow poplins...hmm. Count me as a maybe."

It was your minty fresh trench that started this!  If you all haven't seen Niema's coat, check it out here.  

Lisa Finley writes:  I'm definitely interested! How soon do you want to start?


Yes.  Let's talk timelines.  I'd like to have my coat done by May.  If we start soon, I think this is totally possible.  I can suggest a timeline for sewing, but there is no obligation to follow it.  Low bar, folks.  Looooow bar. =)


Here's what I'm thinking:


Now - 15 Mar:  gather pattern, fabric, and notions
15 Mar - 31 Mar:  muslin and alterations
1 Apr - 30 Apr:  sew and tell

Whaddaya think?  Too long?  Too short?  Missing something?


L

10 comments:

  1. I want to make a trench someday, but it sadly won't be this spring. Sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'll be looking out for your coat in the future. =)

      Delete
  2. I've had this on the list for a while and now is the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn this is a great idea but I'm sorry to say I won't be able to join you because I am starting my denim trench over the weekend. I am bound and determined to have it done by the end of the month. It's the goal I've set for myself. I'll make sure I watch your every step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. There's always room for another trench. =)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your sew along. I am not that far advanced yet but will be watching with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it BeaJay! It's a few seams and screams. =)

      Delete
  5. Do you know what color/fabric you're going to use yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeppers. I'm using red stretch cotton sateen for the body and (hopefully) a silk plaid broadcloth for the lining.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...