10 March 2014

McCall's 6841 (knit top): Complete & Other Stuff


After finishing the funky bells, I needed something simple to sew.  View C of this pattern has two pieces.  TWO.  Can't get more simple than that, right?


When this pattern first came out, I wasn't a fan because of the giant front drape.  But after seeing several versions, I decided to try it.

Sorry for the single crummy photo.  I was too tired to go through the motions with the tripod and camera settings.  Why do we still observe Daylight Savings Time?  Waaaaaaah!  

  On with the review...

Fabric & Notions:
  • 2 yards of purple rayon Lycra knit
  • sewing machine for pleats
  • serger and coverstitch machines for seams and hems 

Fitting/Alterations:  I cut a medium and didn't make a muslin.  I figured the ginormity of the front drape would provide enough ease.  I didn't make any adjustments.

Instructions:  The first thing you're instructed to do is finish the edge of the front drape.  Knits don't ravel and this step is really unnecessary.  I knew this and tried to finish the edge anyway.  Bad idea.  I serged about six inches and stopped because the fabric was getting chewed up in the worst way.  I picked the stitches and left the edge raw.  Sanity?  Check.

The top is simple to construct.  The only step that gave fits was the part where you roll the top in a burrito to sew the back neck to itself.  I couldn't wrap (hah!) my head around the orientation of the garment.  After arranging the top in a way that mimicked the drawing, I was able to sew the correct edges together.  To make this part easier, make sure you mark the shoulder notches with chalk.  This will help with making sure everything is properly aligned.

Construction:  Easy peasy.  Sew pleats.  Sew CF.  Sew sides.  Sew shoulders.  Burrito thing.  Hem. 

Wear Factor:  It's great to hide my affinity for most things chocolate (no chocolate cake/ice cream..bleh).  The only thing I don't like is the fullness in the back.  I tried to add some shaping to the side seams, but it didn't work.  I think this is just how the top is designed.  The only thing I found a bit annoying is that the stitched CF sometimes falls to the outside - if that makes any sense.  I found myself adjusting it constantly.  Score:  7/10

Conclusion:  I'll probably make one more - maybe in a print.  This is a pretty distinctive style and I think one or two is enough for me.

******************
Funky Bells Update
******************

I wore the funky bells skating on Friday.  When I asked my skate buddy (who knows that I sew) what he thought about the jeans, he grabbed a "bell", wrapped it tightly around my ankle, and said, "Much better."  Bwahahaha!  What does he know?!

For the most part, the jeans survived the 'roll test.'  After prolonged wear and movement, I could feel that the front crotch length was way too long.  If I make another pair of pants from this pattern, I definitely have to make an adjustment.

**********************
Trench Coat Sew Along
**********************
A group of us are planning to sew a trench coat for Spring/Fall.  If you're interested in joining, head on over to the Trench Coat Sew Along Blog.  It's not too late to join and all are welcome!

Until next time, peace!

L




17 comments:

  1. Love your top - very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bea Jay! I definitely wasn't feeling it when the pattern first came out.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this drapey top! Now I need to check this pattern out for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really cool! I saw Toy's ( of Life Happens, Be Positive) version first and had to have it.

      Delete
  3. Nice new top Lynne & great color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TWO pieces?! Definitely a winner...and cute to boot! Love that color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, two! I love me some easy sewing. =)

      Delete
  5. I love it. Oh that color is all that. I must try that color as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie. =) The fabric came from the stash of years past. I think I got the fabric at JoAnn's.

      Delete
  6. I love the color. I love the draping. I really love that it is an easy and quick sew. Occasionally, a quick sew gets the sewing juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I needed something easy after sewing those crazy jeans.

      Delete
  7. M6841 is getting a lot of positive press. Yours looks good on you--the color is on point. I gotta get on the band wagon. Thanks for posting this. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was surprised at how great it looked on others because I thought this was fug when it first came out. =) I'd love to your version!

      Delete
  8. I didn't realize you'd made this! I have a closely colored rayon knit that is destined to become this top. I didn't like it at first either but I have liked EVERY one I've seen made...on all body types!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...