14 June 2014

Five Days in Melbourne

My trip to Melbourne started off kinda rocky.  The flight I booked through Expedia (bad idea) apparently didn't exist.  I only found out about it when I got to the airport.  Fortunately, I was booked on a flight that left two hours later than the original one.  

Then on top of that, the mystery flight didn't include any checked bags.  So I had to pay $70 on the spot because my bag was not going to fit in the overhead compartment.  Grrrr.

Initially, I booked a reservation at another hostel.  Upon arrival at the hostel, I did not like it as much.  The people were very nice and friendly, but I just didn't bond with the environment.  The bathroom was down the hall and the rooms were very dark.  Besides, I just spent the last ten days in a hostel and could use some alone time.

Fort the first two days, I walked around the city looking for another place to stay.  I ended up staying at Batman's Hill on Collins - a really nice hotel that is centrally located and reasonably priced.   The receptionist even upgraded my room to a king suite for the price of a double.  Things were looking up!

Then I caught a cold.  The weather was much cooler and wetter and my body didn't respond like that. Despite having a cold, I still ventured out to visit some sights, but I didn't take as many pictures.  I also didn't stay out too much for fear that I'd get sicker. 

I walked mostly everywhere and took the free City Circle Tram as needed.  I meant to take pictures of the tram.

Both pictures were taken from in front of the Shrine of Remembrance at the Royal Botanic Gardens.

The domed building on the left is the Flinders Street train station.  The pictures are taken from Federation Square.
I've never seen black swans before.  The birds are traversing the Yarra River.  I know I took more pictures of the river, but they no longer appear on my memory card.  =(

I went to a few museums/galleries during my visit:  Immigration Museum, National Gallery of Victoria, and the Melbourne Museum.

In front of the Royal Exhibition Building
 
 
 Gotta love the beautiful bird of paradise flower!

I also spent some time at Queen Victoria's Market.  This is an outdoor market, much like Paddy's Market in Sydney, that is host to pretty much anything you want to find.  There are food and clothing vendors, as well as electronics, souvenir, and accessory booths.  If I were visiting longer, I would have perused the shops a little more.

Despite being under the weather, I enjoyed visiting Melbourne.  I didn't get to spend as much time there and definitely have to come back.  I don't think I got to see as much as the city has to offer.  I would have liked to take a river cruise down the Yarra River and visit some of the older neighborhoods like South Yarra.

In all, I had a wonderful time visiting Australia.  I put off planning this trip for years for reasons that I won't get into.  With the encouragement and support of those closest to me, I am so glad that I did it. This has had a profound affect on me with experiences that I will never forget.

Up next:  When you can't sleep, sew!  So far this month, I finished my floral print jacket, sewed two skirts, and am about 75% done with another coat.  I also cut out a muslin for a button-front blouse and knit dress AND cut the fabric for another version of McCall's 6654 (knit skirt). 

See that roll?  I am so on it.

L

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful place to visit, the pictures are beautiful. Hoping you are feeling much better. You are definitely on a roll, you've got collection going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. It took me a few days once I returned, but I am definitely feeling better.

      Delete
  2. Yes, that looks like Melbourne weather!! You certainly seem to have worked out what Melbourne is about, quite different from Sydney. The Bird of Paradise foliage is beautiful - I have one in bloom in my garden at the moment.

    Can't wait to see the insomniac-cal sewing spree..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insomniac-cal sewing. Hah! The temperature drop was shocking and my body had had enough. =)

      Delete
  3. I am happy to hear I'm not the only one who has abandoned her first lodging choice!
    Sorry to hear you got sick on the road. That has also happened to me! For me I think it's like my body truly relaxes and then its defenses are down and boom, I get a cold. In fact several of my coworkers are amazed I have not gotten sick and are predicting I'm going to get sick in July after the big work project is released. I hope they are wrong and I stay healthy and strong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. As soon as I got there, I knew I had to find some place else to stay. It cost more, but at least I was comfortable. =)

      It sucked being sick for sure. Sitting next to two people who hacked the entire 13-hour flight back did not help either!

      Delete
  4. What an amazing trip L! Hope you're all better now and I cannot wait to see all these new beauties!

    Oh and I cut the pattern out for S2243.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! I am feeling better.

      I need to work on S2443. It's short and doesn't quite meet at the center front. Who am I kidding, it comes *no where near* the center front!

      Delete
    2. Teach me todo an fba on this! Will I just end up with a side dart? I don't mind since I'm using a solid...but the FBA has halted me in my tracks. I ended up tracing off my burda jacket! :)

      Delete
  5. Your trip sounds both amazing and life-changing. There have been times when I wish I had abandoned my first lodging choice and regretted not doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I had some revelations while on the trip and am glad that I went.

      Delete
  6. Your trip, though starting off rocky, seems to have been a good one in the end. At least it is one for the memory bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I will never forget this wonderful experience.

      Delete
  7. It seems like you really enjoyed this experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shame you got sick in Melbourne. It's weather can be a little tricky. Looking forward to seeing your sewing items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! I would have liked to see more of the area. There's always the next visit. =)

      Delete
  9. Except the falling sick part , what an amazing adventure...

    Hope you are feeling better now and I hope there are many more happy adventures coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I love traveling and hope to have the opportunity to see many more places. How are you?? =)

      Delete
  10. Except the falling sick part , what an amazing adventure...

    Hope you are feeling better now and I hope there are many more happy adventures coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmm...maybe we should've mentioned it would probably be colder & wetter in Melbourne. Oops! Interesting about the flight. I think this is why I always book everything (incl flights & hotels) with the chain/airline itself rather than third party websites. But that could be my OCD thing coming out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to let hubby know about Expedia as we used it extensively when we went to the UK but that didn't include our air travel. Sorry you caught a cold, but thankfully you did manage to see some of th sites. Hope you are feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...