18 June 2014

Jalie 2559 (floral print jacket)

I wanted to finish it before going out of town, but I ran out of time.  Oh well. It's finished now and I love it - though I don't know with what to wear it except jeans.

I have this coral cotton stretch pique, but I think that might be too much.  I was hesitant to wear the much-more-subdued coral button-down in the picture.  Seems too matchy-matchy.  Any suggestions? 

Having made this pattern successfully three out of four times, I can't rave about it enough.  It's a shame that it's no longer available on Jalie's website.  It's really a great pattern and is very well drafted - as long as you pick a fabric that's not too thick.

The construction details are the same:
  • sleeve heads to help set the sleeve and support the sleeve cap
  • back stay for stability
  • interfaced front, side front, and facings
  • interfaced all hems
For the lining, I used a bright yellow cotton voile from the stash.  I bought this fabric with the intention of making a tunic, but it was way too bright for my taste.  I was going to relegate big bird to the muslin stash, but used it for the lining instead.  The sleeves are lined with some cheap-o polyester lining from the stash as well.  Y'all know I'm a lining snob, but I didn't want to use anything else.  I could have used some supple blue Ambiance, but I wanted the lining to match.

I haven't added buttons or buttonholes yet.  I'm trying to decide if I want them or not.  If so, I'll likely use self-covered buttons and snaps because I don't feel like looking for buttons nothing else really goes with the print. I could make some at the studio, but none of the glazes match; I already checked.

Will I make this again?  Definitely.  One can never have too many blazers.  I simply love my KLM jacket and plan to make more in similar-weight wools.



I'm working on another project that I hope to have finished very soon.  More details later.

Until next time, peace!

L

32 comments:

  1. love the jacket! I agree, we can never have enough jackets lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. I like making jackets too. I still have to work on the notched collar, though. This one gave me fits and I'm thankful the floral print hides said fits. =)

      Delete
  2. That looks fabulous and so seasonally appropriate! Never enough jackets is true. Don't know if you wear skirts, but a royal blue skirt and a yellow, coral, or peach blouse? But then I'm into coordination of colors...
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynda. I have a dark navy linen skirt with which I thought to pair the jacket. I haven't done it yet, though. I haven't even swapped out my winter clothes for summer clothes yet. The weather is crazy around here.

      Delete
  3. I really like the combination that you are wearing. Now, you know me by now. Matching and bright colors do not trouble my spirit at all. Step out of the box this one time because that jacket is well worth getting some sincere wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'm glad you chimed in. This jacket was a step into the unknown-comfort zone. =) I'll pair it with some other fabric I have. The bright coral pink isn't doing anything for me. Plus it's another pique. I think it might be too much overall.

      Delete
  4. Love it! And I love your bright yellow lining, too! In addition to jeans, I'd think this jacket would look fine with a neutral-colored pencil skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, neutral colors - I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if I can crank out one more skirt before the end of June. Hmm.

      Delete
  5. Love your jacket and that print. White or khaki would be good neutral pairings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have khaki; I have to look for a white bottomweight. Thanks Debbie!

      Delete
  6. Love the print of this jacket...Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhhh. Love it!

    I agree with Michelle that a nice stone/tan neutral works. A super bright white works and a yellow that matches the leaves in the jacket...

    Can't wait to see the next thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The yellow is pretty bright; then again I just saw your bright yellow skirt. Hmm.

      Delete
  8. Love the colors in the blazer, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tee! I'm loving it. =)

      Delete
  9. You've got a winner there and a great fit too.









    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye. This pattern fit pretty close right out of the envelope. All I needed to do was a sway back adjustment and take 1/2" seam allowances at bust level. Jalie is da bomb!

      Delete
  10. Great Jacket Lynn. I would wear it with a navy - as long as the navy was in the same blue group as the background. Hard to tell on the monitor. Love it - it is very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue is quite weird. It's much lighter than navy, but it's not the same cobalt as my KLM jacket. It's not a traditional blue either. It's like a dirty blue-periwinkle. This PR member made a pencil skirt out of the same fabric: http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/99684. Here, the fabric looks much darker. I love that she paired it with a white shirt.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic jacket and the fit is spot on. You have got some great suggestions as to colour and I feel that if you keep it to the same tones/group you should be able to wear any colour that is in the print. The hard part is finding the right tones/group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Thanks to all of the suggestions, I have a great place to start. Neutrals and white seem to be the way to go. Thank you Sharon!

      Delete
  12. This looks fantastic - I think it looks good with your jeans, it really dresses them up and is not matchy matchy at all - matchy matchy is the old suit look, blue jacket with blue pants/skirt look - and with same colour shoes. It dresses up your jeans into a smart casual look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz.. =) I'm trying to improve my wardrobe and I like the smart casual look. Now I need to make some shirts!

      Delete
  13. This is great! I was a Columbia Fashion Week runway show last night and saw a very similar trend. Print jackets must be the in thing this season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, sweet! At least I'm half on trend; I refuse to let go of my bellbottoms and boot cut jeans!

      Delete
  14. I want that blazer!!!! It looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. See....everybody can't do that! You did it and it looks fabulous! WERK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha! Thanks Terri! I'm taking cues from a certain someone's daughter. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...