17 June 2014

Make That 3 Skirts

Two lined, one knit, and the month still isn't over.  Watch out SASSSG.  RBOEDTLOSSG (random-burst-of-energy-due-to-lack-of-sleep-sewing-goddess) is on the move!

Actually, my sleep is back to normal.  I am not waking up at midnight and tossing/turning until 3a.  

On with the review...
left:  paired with Jalie 2559
right:  front of skirt

This skirt is my second version of McCall's 6654 and was very easy to make.  There are only three pieces - two of which are cut on the fold. 

Fabric:  I made the skirt out of one of my fabric purchases during my fantabulous trip to Australia.  I picked up this piece in Cabramatta at the meet-up with Beverly, Maria, Valerie, Alison, Wendy, and Sharon.  When I saw the bolt, I made a bee-line for it because I HAD to have it.  
The fabric has a nice weight and has a mesh backing that is held in place by the print.  

Notions:  I used a stretch needle in my sewing machine to stitch the seam and regular needles/thread to serge the seams together.  I used 3/4"-wide elastic cut to a comfortable  size in the casing.

Instead of converstitching the hem, I oped for a blind hem.  I didn't want coverstitch threads interrupting the print on the outside.

Alterations:  Previously, I made a 1.25-inch full seat adjustment - an alteration I have to do on every skirt.  I ended up using larger seam allowances (1.25") so that the skirt hugged my hips a little more.  For future versions, I'll use 1" seam allowances instead. 

This is my go-to pattern for knit pencil skirts.  From cut to finish (barring no crazy sewing errors), it can probably be sewn in an hour.  I make the crazy sewing errors, so my sewing time is a bit longer. =)

You were reading my mind, Valerie!

Until next time, peace!

L

25 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for these posts - this skirt turned out really nicely - I doubt I could sew that sort of pattern with jet lag - it looks gorgeous. Not easy to find a nice knit houndstooth, so can quite understand how you snaffled this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern was really, really simple. I'm sure you can do it. You conquered a feat I have yet to try: pleather skirt with zipper. *shudder*

      Delete
  2. Looks fabulous and even more so with happy holiday memories too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. I'll always have a fond memories of the trip whenever I wear or look at this skirt.

      Delete
  3. Looooove that houndstooth skirt. Looks so professional with the blazer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I like it with the blazer as well. I'm not ready for winter to wear it, though. =)

      Delete
  4. Oh you have me cracking up! :-D

    That skirt is FAB. I love the houndstooth and that it's a knit! I wouldn't have thought that!

    And the jacket is super cute and non-KLM like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. This skirt is getting worn out!

      Delete
  5. Love that skirt and what you have done with that fabric. I am sorry I didn't pick some up now. That skirt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can, go and get some! There was plenty left on the bolt. You will not be disappointed. The fabric is so soft and easy to sew.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic skirt, love houndstooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm digging it too.

      Delete
  7. I'm not a mind reader, it's only because you told us you were going to make a skirt out of it. It's sassy! Needs a red top to go with it though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. That's an interesting thought. I was going to go with a predictable white blouse; I didn't think about red. Hmm...

      Delete
  8. Your are killing it my dear. Please blow some of that sewing Mojo right on over here. I sure could use it. Your skirts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! *poof* Done! =)

      Delete
  9. Oh this fabric, THIS FABRIC! Pure love! Very nice L and love it with the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I agree with Terri, I love the blue..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your skirt. Great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks gorgeous! You certainly were quick to sew up that fabric. The piece you bought for me LOL is still sitting in the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) Thank you Alison. It helps when the pattern only has three pieces and the serger is already threaded with black thread. Hah. I love shortcuts. =)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...