15 June 2014

New Look 6274 (skirts)

Don't you just love it when you can sew a TNT? I've made NL 6274 a few times and use it when I want a quick, no-fuss skirt.

On the left, the skirt is paired with Simplicity 2422 (not reviewed).  I wore this outfit on Monday and got some nice compliments.  The second skirt is paired with an old favorite, McCall's 6078.  I'd like to make a white jacket or blouse to go with both skirts.  I have some navy suiting fabric and could make another Jalie 2559. Hmm...


I like the navy elastic belt better than the red one.  I need to find some navy vinyl/pleather so that I can make the belt.

The fabric is a light-weight stretch cotton sateen.  I found both pieces at G Street Fabrics during a trip to DC last November.  They were one-yard pieces and were perfect lengths for skirts.

I didn't do anything differently with the construction.  I used invisible zippers, Ambiance lining, and petersham for the waist facing.  The skirt seams were finished first, sewn, and then pressed open.  The lining seams were sewn and then serged together.  I used a blind hem on both skirts.

Having worn one skirt already, I realize that I need to take the waist in a bit.  This will mean that I'll have to undo the hem, petersham, and serging.  The skirt's kind of baggy, so I think the extra work will be worth it.

I'll leave you a picture of my "signature."

20 comments:

  1. Lovely! I am especially loving the second one! Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the second one a little bit more than the first one, too. I gotta make something to wear with it.

      Delete
  2. These are so pretty, and I love that you can use the same accessories with both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful skirts. Great choice of fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute--I like both of them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I see both skirts getting a lot of wear.

      Delete
  5. Cute skirts! I can see this pattern in a black and white houndstooth check ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - you are certainly catching up with your posting and sewing. Love both skirts. They are vibrant and fun (like you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thanks! I think this is the sewiest and bloggiest month ever. =)

      Delete
  7. Okay L...I see you! Love them skirts. Both of them! I too could use a white jacket. Don't you just love it when the WHOLE fit was made by you?! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love being able to pull out a pattern and just sew it up! I washed fabric for the white jacket and am thinking about what to use for the markings.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...