10 June 2014

Ten Days in Sydney (*very* pic heavy)

It's funny how traveling across the international date line works.  I left Michigan on a Wednesday, flew back in time to California, and ended up in Sydney on Friday.  Thursday did not happen.

My body is slowing returning back to normal.  I was having trouble sleeping last week, but it's getting better.  I don't toss and turn for two to three hours anymore.

Here are some details about my time spent in Sydney.

Walking around the city:  My first two days were spent walking around the city using free guided tours.  The hostel offered a tour on Friday and one of my roommates and I went on a free-ish tour on Saturday.  The hostel tour was quite extensive and included a walk to Martin Place, Darling Harbour, Paddy's Market, and ended at Central Station.  

 Sydney Opera House
 Sydney Harbour Bridge
 Martin Place

 Rubbing his nose gives good luck.  Apparently people have rubbed other things, too.
 Archibald Fountain at Hyde Park
 St. Mary's Cathedral
 Central Business District (taken from Pyrmont Bridge)
The international bird.

Marvelous meet-up:  Beverly of On the Road to Sew Wear arranged a sewing-blogger meet up in Cabramatta (also known as "little Vietnam").  She graciously offered to pick me up and drive us out to meet with the others who came from all over. 
 left to right:  Wendy, Maria, me, Beverly, Alison, Sharon, Valerie
Can you spot my fabric purchase?  Genius thinking on my part.
Everyone is wearing something they made.  Freakin' awesome!

We started with tea and coffee at a local cafe and then fabric shopping!  Beverly researched the shops in the area and mapped out everything so as to maximize our time and energy.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the stores.  I was so engrossed in the moment, I forgot I had my camera!  I showed immense restraint and purchased only two pieces.  The third piece was gifted to me by Maria (Velosewer).  

We had lunch at...um...help me out ladies!  I had so much food that I had leftovers for lunch the next day.  These lovely ladies were kind to treat me to lunch.  Thank you!

Gifts from Maria:  Joey and Koala.  I *love* stuffed animals.  How did you know?!

 gorgeous ITY border print (2 meters); also a gift from Maria
 left:  reversible stretch woven (3 meters)
right:  black on white houndstooth doubleknit (1 meter)

Many thanks to Beverly, Maria (for the ride back to the hostel), and everyone for such a warm welcome.  I enjoyed our laughs and will never forget this.  We must keep in touch!

Museums and more walking:   
 Royal Botanical Gardens
 Barracks Museum (former holding places and courts for convicts)
 Chinese Gardens

 

I found Tessuti Fabrics with no problem; I didn't buy anything, though.  The fabric was divine, but really expensive.




Student fashion on display at the Powerhouse Museum

 Representin' The D!
This photo was taken atop one of the pylons at the end of the bridge.
OMGosh.  There were SO many steps to get to the top.  
There was a water fountain half-way up.  Yeah.  That many steps.

Climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge:  Yup, I climbed it.  I was all I-am-woman-hear-me-ROAR about it...until I got there.  Then I was like, holy shit, what the hell am I doing?!  Fortunately, the climb is very safe and well managed.  I made it up and back with no problem and no soiled undergarments.  If you're ever in Sydney, definitely do it! 

 On top of the bridge decked in the fashionable climbing gear.
 
 This is a picture of a different group of climbers.  Look at how tiny they are!

Ferry to Manly:  I went to Manly Beach for a few hours, rented a bike, and rode around.  The weather was great and the view was nothing short of remarkable.
 
 

Day trip to the Blue Mountains: I definitely recommend taking a day (or two if you can) and go out to the Blue Mountains.  Majestic is one of many words to describe the view, tranquility, and smell.  Our tour guide said that the blue color we see is due to the sun reflecting off of the eucalyptus oil in the atmosphere.
 
 

 
 

These pictures were taken from the Skyway, Cableway, and Railway - all at Scenic World

Featherdale Wildlife Park:  As part of the day tour package, we visited Featherdale Wildlife Park.  I chose Featherdale over the Taronga Zoo because some of the animals are not caged - as you will see below!


 Roos everywhere!  You can feed them, too. 

 Pelicans
 Awww.  Koalas are so darn cute!  
We weren't allowed to hold them, but we could touch this one.
 
 Tasmanian devil
 Peacock just out for a casual stroll
 Dingos!
 I didn't get too close to the emus.  They looked aggressive - especially this one.
 This was a big kangaroo!  
It looked as if he had had enough of these two-footed uprights in his domain!


Super Saturday with Sarah Liz:  Sarah Liz of SarahLizSewStyle drove several hours with her DH to meet up on Saturday.  How sweet is that?!  We met at the Royal Botanical Gardens and visited the Art Gallery of New South Wales.  We had a lovely tour of the gallery and many wonderful conversations. We talked about Australia's art history in addition to many other things.

 
We spent the entire day together and easily could have talked for hours more.  I love our sewing community.  It is so nice to meet someone with whom you've connected virtually.  It was fantastic to meet her and her DH.  We will meet again, for sure!

Vivid SydneyEvery night for about two weeks, Sydney produces a festival in celebration of light, music, and art.  There are spectacular light shows displayed on various buildings downtown (including the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House) as well as concerts and street performances.  I had no idea this was to take place and was extremely fortunate to be visiting during this time.

 
 
 
 

This is only a few of the MILLION pictures (okay...hundred or so) I took of the light show.  It was spectacular!

Whew!  Up next I'll share photos of my trip to Melbourne.

L

24 comments:

  1. Wow! You packed a lot in! It was a pleasure to meet you. It's so lovely to see Sydney through your experiences. You've done things I haven't and I live here..note to self..must climb bridge..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really didn't seem like a lot at the time; having reflected on the trip, I agree! I had a fantastic time.

      Delete
  2. Yes you did pack a lot in. So glad you got to see vivid and the Blue Mountains not to mention our furry Aussie friends. NSW and some other states banned the holding of Koalas some years ago and it is still lovely to see them in their trees. So game of you to make it to the top of the Bridge. Something I can't do. Lovely pictures Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly. Meeting you and the others definitely made the trip extra special. =) The Blue Mountains were spectacular.

      Delete
  3. lovely sights! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly did a lot during your visit and so glad you climbed the bridge, it is an amazing structure and has the most fantastic views. We didn't make Vivid this year so thank you for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Climbing the bridge was scary at first, but got very easy after we passed the "ladders" part. The bridge is indeed an amazing structure with an interesting history.

      Delete
  5. What a packed week - I know you told me about it, but to see it in pictures just shows how packed it was. You are certainly brave doing the bridge climb - you have to have a cool head for heights and not look down. Koalas are cute, but they do have big claws, which grip trees of course - so I think they have been known to grip people a little too hard. I'm so glad you went out to the blue mountains - it gives you another perspective of Australia - and the towns soon thin out once you are over the blue mountains, then it's bush for miles.... And it was lovely to meet you too. Looking forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The koalas were so adorable! I love that the can sleep so peacefully in the trees. I only decided to visit the Blue Mountains at the last minute. I am so glad I did! The views were amazing!

      Thank you for driving out to meet! I am happy that we met and were able to connect. =)

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a great looking trip! I would love to make a trip to Australia! Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you can, definitely do it! I would definitely go back.

      Delete
  7. I am so glad Sydney put on its best for you, and that you had such a great time Down Under ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad we couldn't meet; I would have loved to chat in person. =) Sydney definitely put on it's best during the visit!

      Delete
  8. Great pictures!!! I love the idea of a zoo without cages. Thanks for sharing Sydney with us. I can't wait to see Melbourne next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle! Featherdale is great. If you ever get the chance to visit, definitely go there instead of or in addition to Taronga Zoo.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you had a great time. I really enjoyed looking at your pictures; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I had a wonderful time.

      Delete
  10. Looks like a wonderful place to visit. Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is! The trip was epic and I'm so glad I did it.

      Delete
  11. Wow...you sure got around! I am very impressed that you got all the names right too. ;) The bridge climb is worth every penny & your photos at night are fabulous. I did that climb way back and it was fantastic if a little daunting at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. How can I forget the ladies that gave me such a warm welcome? =) The bridge climb is definitely worth the money. I was hesitant about it at first, but said 'fuhgeddaboutit' and signed up. Why fly all this way and not take in all of the sights?!

      Delete
  12. Glad you had a good time in Sydney. I live 2 hours from Sydney but haven't seen Vivid yet, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such a good traveller. You got to see so much of Sydney in such a short space of time.
    I really appreciated spending time meeting you and shopping for fabric - of course.
    You can't not do the tourist attractions because you never know when you'll get back again. YOLO.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...