12 July 2014

Kwik Sew 3558 (jacket): Complete

When I don't know what to sew, apparently I sew jeans and jackets.  I liked my first version of KS 3558 so much, I knew I would make it again eventually.


Sewing this jacket was pretty quick.  I didn't bother to bind the facing and hem edges as I did on the first.  

Denim is my comfort food for fabric.  There's no question about right/wrong sides, presses very nicely, and is just easy to sew.  What's not to love? =)

Due to fluctuations in my weight, I added 3/8" to the front vertical seams for extra width.  I could probably take the upper shoulder and waist in a bit.

I started to doubt whether including the back pleats was a good idea.  Trunk junk and pleats are normally never a good mix.  It looks like a little shelf back there.  

Pressing the pleats definitely helped; wearing it for a full day will tell the true tale.  The above picture shows how it rests on my backside.  Yeah.  Methinks this will be the one and only pleated peplum version. =)

I added sleeve heads for cap support and taped the lapel roll line.  I forgot to take pictures of the roll line, though.


I contemplated topstitching the pleats.  By the time I thought this was a good idea, I had already completed the back and I wasn't going to pick all of that apart.

I can see this little jacket paired with quite a few skirts I already own.  I might make this pattern one more time before retiring it for a while.  I'd like a long-sleeved version for fall.

I'll get pictures of me wearing the jacket soon.  

Up next:  I'm working on four projects at the moment:  New Look 6472 (two skirts) and Simplicity 2614 (tie-neck tops).  I'll probably finish the skirts first - despite knowing that I really need shirts.  

Until next time, peace!

L

34 comments:

  1. Looks such a great little jacket ~ I can see why you love it! And four more projects under-way ~ you are on a roll ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith! The two skirts both used black thread so I figured it was best to sew them at once. The tops on the other hand...oy!

      Delete
  2. That is one gorgeous jacket and I love the pleats. Hope they work well for you in wear. Great stitching job Lynn. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jacket looks great! Hopefully, the pleats will grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got a chance to wear the jacket; the pleats don't stick out much at all which is a good thing. Thank you Michelle!

      Delete
  4. Your are killing it. .. love the blazer. I am an avid fan of blazers. I like to call them my linus blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thinking! I am a fan of blazers too.

      Delete
  5. Oh this beautiful love all the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the detail on the jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this jacket!! And wondering how I never noticed this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. The pattern envelope leaves much to be desired. When it comes to KS patterns, I always focus on the line drawings.

      Delete
  8. WOW. i freaking love this!!! we must have a model shot-- i would think the cinched waist and pleats would be amazing on le trunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Model shot forthcoming! Le trunk est tres happy. =) I have to take the waist in a bit more, though.

      Delete
  9. What a great jacket! Love your top stitching, so neat and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute jacket. I'm impressed with your fitting skills and your sewing skills. Denim is always a good choice IMO, and you are quite accomplished. Hope the pleats turn out to be a great look!

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Lynda! I have come a long way with fit and still have a ways to go. I'm happy with the way this one worked out.

      Delete
  11. This jacket is freaking awesome, awesome! You must let us see it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it--a variation of the run of the mill denim jacket. The top stitching is amazing and the back pleating really kicks it up a notch. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! I wasn't sure I would like them at first; now I do!

      Delete
  13. It's a really lovely jacket - I don't know how I missed this pattern either, because it is to Die For. I can see why you wanted to make the peplum, it's so gorgeous. Denim dressed up always looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SL. The garment made on the envelope is very plain and doesn't show any topstitching. You really have to look at the line drawings.

      Delete
  14. Do I need another jacket? No, but I will copy you a bit and make one for winter...yours is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mary. Yes! One can never have too many jackets!

      Delete
  15. I love this jacket! Denim is fabulous isn't it? Love the details and as usual the craftwomanship is on point! I like the pleats...even if they do add to the junk in the trunk! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri! Denim is the shiz!

      Delete
  16. Love, love, love this jacket! I've been following your blog for a while. I'm mostly a quilter, but sometimes make clothes (especially quilted jackets).

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a gorgeous jacket! I love the details and the topstitching...awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...