11 July 2014

Sunshine Award

This post is two (three?) months in the making! The super-alien-shape-shifting-sewing goddess, who also goes by the name Nakisha at Sew Crafty Chemist, put my name into the ring of bloggers to receive the Sunshine/Shine On award.  Awww.  Thank you!  The award was created to encourage learning more about the bloggers we follow and share with those who follow us.  Here are the rules:
  • include a photo in a post
  • link the person who nominated you
  • write 10 facts about yourself
  • nominate 10 bloggers
  • notify the nominees
I was hard-pressed to find 10 facts about me that I haven't already shared. 
1.  As an undergraduate, I gave a poster presentation of my research project on Capitol Hill.  I met members of Congress from many different states and took pictures with Congress members from my state.
2.  I am semi-obsessed with aviation.  I've always loved flying and know a lot about how planes operate.  Whenever I fly, I try to chat with the pilots.  Most have been very willing to talk.  I've even been invited to sit in the cockpit of a major airliner.  I am considering taking flying lessons and getting a license to fly small aircraft.
3.  I prefer not to have carpet in a house/apartment. 
4.  I played basketball on an intramural team in college.  Don't laugh.  I actually had a pretty good shot.  But my hoop dreams promptly came to an end when in a playoff game, I caught a left elbow across the face trying to rebound and broke my nose. I haven't played basketball since.  Instead, I stick to sports less ouchy.
5.  I played classical piano from elementary school to high school.  I could never read sheet music, though.  I would fake it by memorizing the piece.  My teacher knew what I was doing because I never looked up from the keys.  Hah.
6.  I do not like country music.  AT ALL. 

7.  I am one of three people on the planet that thinks cheesecake is DISGUSTING.  Don't get me wrong...I like cheese and I love cake.  Just not together.  I worked in a cheesecake factory for three days and nearly went homicidal.

8.   I've never been camping and don't plan on it.  I like doing outdoor stuff, but when it gets dark outside, I need four solid walls, a roof, and indoor plumbing.  

9. I never walk barefoot - anywhere.  Not even in my own house.  I have always had a dog and used to live in New York City.  Those two things together have cured me of walking barefoot.

10.  I am a semi-neat freak.  I'm not OCD about it, though.  I can leave dishes in the sink for a day or two and not make my bed.  But I have to keep the house clean. 

We're supposed to nominate 10 bloggers for the award.  Seeing as how I'm way late on acknowledging this, I am not sure if my nominees have already been mentioned.  In any event, I'd like to share some sun with everyone on my blog roll.  I enjoy connecting with sewing peeps and am happy whenever I see new posts. 

***
Up next:  I made another jacket.  I need to get some pictures for the review.  Hopefully I'll get to do it today or tomorrow or Sunday.  Maybe Monday.  You see where this is going. =)

L

16 comments:

  1. Yay!

    I don't know how I feel about the cheesecake thing. I'm going to have to think about that one! :)

    and...WOW! The piano has always fascinated me. That and the guitar. I'm quite impressed!!!!

    I am barefoot all the time. All. The. Time. Drives my one friend MAD. And outside is fine...from the inside...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am only barefoot in the shower!

      Delete
  2. I'm also barefoot all the time, unless it's cold. And I'm another shortie who's surprisingly good at basketball. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Short players should not be ignored!

      Delete
  3. Ha - we are polar opposites. I love barefoot, hate playing or watching sports, messy as can be and in the immortal (paraphrased) words of Homer Simpson - Cheesecake - yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - and spent 2 weeks camping on a saddle trek when I was younger - loved it. But the bones are a bit old now.

      Delete
    2. Bwahaha. Oh my. We are opposites! Cheesecake is the devil in cake form.

      Delete
  4. Girl, you are multi talented!! Loved reading your list!

    And no camping?? No?? I can't wrap mind around that ..I mean how can somebody not wAnt to go camping??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Camping? Outside? In the elements? With bugs and more bugs? Nah. My friend pointed out poison ivy on a trail and once I learned what it looked like, I freaked out for the next five minutes when all I saw was ivy. Yeah. Camping is not for me. =)

      Delete
  5. I am with you on NO CAMPING EVER. The closest I ever got to camping is staying in the cheapest, dingiest motel room in Geneva for a few days in 2002. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. That's what I'm talking about. =) I'll sit outside an RV with lots of citronella. But once the sun sets, I'm indoors. =)

      Delete
  6. Nice to read this, and am sure on your side with the no camping. On holiday now in a nice little cottage. We talked about it yesterday, that we would never do camping. I've done it a few times in my student days, enough experience to know it's not for me, my husband never did it and is not inclined to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sigrid. I read that you were on holiday. Do have a great time!

      Delete
  7. Awesome skills my lady.

    Will endure sports for a minute, maybe less.

    I despise walking bare feet. Actually walking around in my sneakers with my pjs on... heel spur issues, but always have something on my feet.

    Carpeting.. bleh.. hate it as well and like you have dogs. .. so hard wood floors all the way.

    Quasi OCD, will endure a lil dust, but must keep things neat.

    I like cheese cake, but have to have a super urge for it and it must be plain. .. any topping ...bleh a sure turn off.

    My first husband & I did rough camping... bleh... had to get an RV.. couldn't do the outdoor thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me. I always have something on my feet - usually sneakers and socks. Hard wood floors is the way to go. When I first moved into this house, the first thing I did was rip out the carpet. Well...after I painted the room. No need for a drop cloth!

      Delete
  8. Your very cool photo that you posted on August 16th led me to scroll back through your posts and admire your great sewing ... and then I got to this post. You are awesomely multi-talented and I just had to comment on #2 above ... go for it!!! It was the best thing I ever did for myself and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner in life. The more I fly, the more I love to fly. You obviously have a real enthusiasm for aviation and it is so nice to see! You can do it!!! Sheenagh

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...