25 October 2014

Bike the Bridge 2014

 Ambassador Bridge
(photo credit:  blog.thedetroithub.com)

For the fifth year in a row, the US and Canada joined together to close the busiest international crossing in North America to let a few of us ride our bikes across.  Bike the Bridge 2014, held on Sunday, 12 Oct, was hosted by Tour de Troit  - a local non-profit organization that also  sponsors the annual 30-mile ride around the city.  I did that as well in September, but didn't blog about it or take any pictures.  

The ride was FANTASTIC!

My bike buddy, K, with whom I've biked the Slow Roll all summer, drove down to pick me up at 7a.  We headed out to Windsor, Ontario to pick up our bibs and route map; the ride started promptly at 9a.  After biking to the US and back to Canada, we took a 20-mile tour around local and historic neighborhoods.  

I've been to Windsor MANY times and I never knew some of these neighborhoods existed!  I usually visit the mall, Fabricland, eat somewhere downtown, or pass through to Toronto.  It was very nice to see some of the quaint areas of the city.

That said, I am so glad we did the bridge first.  Oh man.  That climb was brutal.  I thought for sure I wasn't going to make it.  I've biked bridges before, but this was VERY hard.  It seemed as if we would never make it to the top.  I made it eventually! 

Though I seriously contemplated taking a ride back on the SAG truck, I pushed on and made it back to Canada.  The climb didn't seem that hard going back.  Either it wasn't as steep or I had so much adrenaline pumping through me that I couldn't feel the pain.  I'm going with option 2.  =)

In all it was a great ride and nice to see the city from the Windsor side.  It is also nice to say that I biked the Ambassador Bridge!

Upon entering the US to return home, I didn't get stopped with a bunch of crazy questions by customs.  Good lookin' out because seriously, I was not in the mood!


Sorry for the poor photo quality.  It was early and the sun was somewhere else.  The Windsor Star wrote a nice piece about the event and has better pictures.

I had every intention of writing this post last week.  But when it rains, it pours.  Anyway, I am making a conscience effort to take care of myself and return to doing things that I enjoy - which includes sewing and blogging about sewing.

Thanks to everyone for stopping by to read and comment.  Please know that your greetings and support are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

L


 



 

14 comments:

  1. I'm in awe! Wow! Love the clever "Tour de Troit" name too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. The name is neat right? As long as the city doesn't get some cease and desist letter from France, I think we're good. =)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is pretty neat. When you bike over the bridge did you have to go through customs or just when you were in the car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone had to preregister with their documents (passport, enhanced driver's license, etc.) and show them at customs to cross the border. Once we were in Canada, we had to check in using the documents provided at registration. Everyone had to wear their assigned bib and stay between the two pacing vehicles. We didn't have to check in with customs during the ride - which was nice.

      Delete
  3. Good on you. Sounds like a great time - way too energetic for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It was my last ride of the year. My sits-bone has had enough!

      Delete
  4. I've got cycling envy. Your ride sounds fabulous, going between two countries. It must be great to be able to say - Oh, I cycled to Canada and back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun - despite it being really cold that morning! I am totally taking those bragging rights and running! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Your ride sounds amazing and like Valerie I'm am very envious, well deserved bragging rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thank you! I almost didn't make it. The initial climb was very challenging.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a great experience and a workout! We have got to get back to Canada. Haven't been since the children were small. Glad you had a great time! Sounds like a great getaway! Peace and Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, I didn't realise you were a bike rider too - and what a curve on that bridge - how long is it to the apex? Adrenaline and endorphins - a good mix to face life with :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am crowning you the Adventurous Diva. Oh how I wish I had your stamina. Glad you had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! It sounds like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...